1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix determinant problem

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The 4x4 matrix with rows v1, v2, v3 and v4 has a determinant of -5. What is the determinant of the matrix with rows v1, v2, 7v3+6v4, 6v3+8v4?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried doing -5x7x8=-280 but its saying its wrong. I don't understand why. I'm using the properties of determinants of matrices.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are using the linearity of determinants, right? What about the contribution from [v1, v2, 6v4, 6v3]?

4. Sep 22, 2010 #3
    Yes but the property I read was that if a multiple of a row is added to another row, then there is no change to the determinant.

5. Sep 22, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

True. But you added a multiple of v4 to the third row. That didn't change the determinant, but it did change the third row. Now when you add a multiple of v3 to the fourth row, you can't claim that doesn't change it. Because the third row isn't v3 anymore! Use linearity directly.

6. Sep 22, 2010 #5
    v3 still remains v3 because it is not defined as the 3rd row of a matrix in general but instead is the specific 3rd row of the original matrix.

7. Sep 22, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's wrong. I'm not going to argue with you why. Use linearity. Stuff like det[v1,v2,a*v3+b*v4,v4]=det[v1,v2,a*v3,v4]+det[v1,v2,b*v4,v4], and you'll see why your answer is wrong. Apply it to det[v1,v2,a*v3+b*v4,c*v3+d*v4]. There are TWO nonvanishing determinants in the expansion.

8. Sep 22, 2010 #7
    I don't understand by what you mean by "linearity." I haven't heard of that term. I was taught the properties of determinants but that's it.

9. Sep 22, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Huh. I would have listed linearity first in my list of determinant properties. It's what I tried to sketch in the last post. If a row of a matrix is given by the sum of two vectors A+B, then the resulting determinant is the sum of the determinant of the matrix with the row replaced by A and the determinant of the matrix with the row replaced by B.

10. Sep 22, 2010 #9
    Oh that was the name of a property. I didn't know that. I got the right answer now. Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook