Yes, you are getting the correct answers for a) and b).

In summary, the determinants of the given expressions a) and b) are 4 and -32 respectively. These answers were obtained by simplifying the given expressions using the properties of determinants and the given information about the matrices A, B, and C.
shiri
Let A, B and C be 3x3 invertible matrices where det(A)=4 , det(B)=4 and det(C) is some non-zero scalar.

a) det [(C^T)(A^-1)(B^2)(C^-1)]

b) det [-2(A^2)^T(C^2)(B^-1)(C^-1)^2]

a)
What I got is:

det [(A^-1)(B^2)(C^T)(C^-1)]

= det [(A^-1)(B^2)(C)(C^-1)]

= det [(A^-1)(B^2)]

= [1/det(A)]*[det(B)]^2

= (1/4)*(4)^2

= 16/4

= 4

b)
What I got is:

det [-2(A^2)^T(B^-1)(C^2)(C^-1)^2]

= (-2)^3 det [(A^2)^T(B^-1)(C^2)(C^-2)]

= -8 det [(A^2)(B^-1)]

= -8 [det(A)]^2*[1/det(B)]

= -8 (4)^2*(1/4)

= -8 (16)*(1/4)

= -8*4

= -32

Can anyone please tell me, am I getting the right answers for a) and b)?

Physics news on Phys.org
They look correct to me

Me too. :smile:

… what's worrying you about them?​

1. How can I be sure that the answers I am getting for a) and b) are correct?

To confirm that the answers for a) and b) are correct, you can double check your calculations and make sure you are following the correct formula or method. You can also ask a peer or your instructor to review your work and provide feedback.

2. Are there any other factors that could affect the accuracy of my answers for a) and b)?

Yes, there are a few factors that could affect the accuracy of your answers. These include using incorrect data or measurements, making errors in your calculations, or using an incorrect formula or method.

3. Can I use a calculator or software to solve for a) and b)?

Yes, you can use a calculator or software to solve for a) and b), but it is important to make sure you are using the correct functions and inputting the correct data. It is always a good idea to double check your work by hand to ensure accuracy.

4. Is it possible to get different answers for a) and b) using different methods?

Yes, it is possible to get different answers for a) and b) using different methods. This is because there are often multiple ways to solve a problem, and some methods may be more accurate or efficient than others.

5. What should I do if I am still unsure about my answers for a) and b)?

If you are still unsure about your answers for a) and b), you can seek help from a teacher or tutor. They can review your work and provide guidance on how to improve your understanding and accuracy. You can also practice similar problems or seek additional resources for more practice.