Compute Determinant of Matrix A: max(i,j)

In summary, the question is how to compute the determinant of a n × n matrix A where the value of each element aij is equal to the maximum of i and j. The hint suggests that in the main diagonal, i and j are equal, while above and below the main diagonal, one value is always greater than the other. Further help should not be provided unless the OP posts again with more questions.
iasc
The question is:
Compute the determinant of the n × n matrix A for which aij = max(i, j).

I can compute determinants but I don't really know what the last bit means.
Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
iasc said:
The question is:
Compute the determinant of the n × n matrix A for which aij = max(i, j).

I can compute determinants but I don't really know what the last bit means.
Any help appreciated.

Put some numbers in. For example, a12 = max(1, 2) = 2.

max(i,j) means either i or j, whichever is greater.

Huge hint:
In the main diagonal of your matrix i = j, so max{ i, j } = i or j
above the main diagonal j > i, so max{ i, j } = j
below the main diagonal i > j so max { i, j } = i

Note to all:

The OP had a simple question about the meaning of

aij = max(i, j)​

The question has been answered. This is a homework thread; please do not provide further help on solving the problem unless the OP posts again with more questions.

1. What is the purpose of computing the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix is a mathematical concept that helps us understand the properties and behavior of linear transformations. It also plays a crucial role in solving systems of linear equations and finding the inverse of a matrix.

2. How do I compute the determinant of a matrix?

To compute the determinant of a matrix, you can use various methods such as cofactor expansion, Gaussian elimination, or using the properties of determinants. The method you choose may depend on the size and complexity of the matrix.

3. What does the "max(i,j)" notation mean in the context of computing the determinant of a matrix?

In this context, "max(i,j)" means that we are only considering the terms in the matrix where the row number (i) is less than or equal to the column number (j). This notation is used to simplify the computation of the determinant in certain cases.

4. Can the determinant of a matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a matrix can be negative. The sign of the determinant depends on the number of row switches needed to transform the matrix into its reduced row echelon form. An odd number of row switches will result in a negative determinant, while an even number of row switches will result in a positive determinant.

5. What are the applications of computing the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix has various applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, find the inverse of a matrix, calculate volumes of parallelepipeds and determine the stability of a dynamic system, among other things.