1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix determinants.

1. May 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For which values of x is the matrix (see attachment) invertible?

2. Relevant equations
    Row ops. Cofactors etc..

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, a matrix is only invertible when it's determinant is non zero. I've begun doing some row ops and have just hit a little snag. If you look at the attachment you'll see that I can facto (1 - x) out from the minor matrix. I remember hearing in a lecture that you have to factor out (1 - x) from both the top and bottom row of the matrix (i.e. you'll have (1 -x)^2 factored out instead of just (1 - x). Could somebody explain why you don't just factor out (1 - x) one like you would with factoring a scalar out of a matrix as normal?x

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2013 #2
  4. May 23, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the reduced 2x2 matrix, the factor (1-x) is common to all of the members of the matrix. You can only factor it out once. Whatever you heard about factoring the matrix was incorrect.

See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(mathematics)

specific topic: scalar multiplication ofa matrix

5. May 23, 2013 #4
    Thanks for clearing that up.

6. May 23, 2013 #5

verty

Homework Helper

Even with a scalar, wikipedia confirms that to scale a row by m scales the determinant by m, which is clear if you think of the formula for the determinant.

7. May 23, 2013 #6
    Yeah. That's actually what got me thinking about it in the first place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted