Matrix Diagonalization

In summary, the linear algebra textbook defines similar matrices as A = C^-1BC and diagonalized similar matrices as A = CDC^-1. The order of C^-1 and C is switched when finding A^n, which is not an error but rather a result of the definition. This holds true for nonnegative integers n and is also applicable when A = C^-1DC.
cookiesyum

Homework Statement

My linear algebra textbook defines...

similar matrices: A = C^-1BC
diagonalized similar matrices: A = CDC^-1
A^n = C^-1*D^n*C

Why do the C^-1 and C's get switched around between the definitions? Doesn't order of multiplication matter? Are these the correct definitions? Is A^n really the opposite of the definition for diagonalized similar matrices, or is this an error?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
cookiesyum said:
My linear algebra textbook defines...

similar matrices: A = C^-1BC
That couldn't possibly have been the definition your book gave. What did you omit?

Hurkyl said:
That couldn't possibly have been the definition your book gave. What did you omit?

Nope, that's it! He has us using his own lecture notes, instead of a published textbook. This is why I thought it could potentially be an error.

So if I'm diagonalizing a matrix, there exists C such that A = CDC^-1 but when I want to find A^n, I solve C^-1*D^n*C (the C inverse and C switch spots). Is that on purpose?

cookiesyum said:
Nope, that's it! He has us using his own lecture notes, instead of a published textbook. This is why I thought it could potentially be an error.
Nothing else, really? Nothing like
A and B are similar matrices if ...​
or
... if there exists an invertible matrix C such that ...​
?

P.S. if [itex]A = C D C^{-1}[/itex], then we do indeed have [itex]A^n = C D^n C^{-1}[/itex]. (For nonnegative integers n. Negative is allowed if D is invertible) And, of course, if we have the equation [itex]A = C^{-1} D C[/itex] then we can infer [itex]A^n = C^{-1} D^n C[/itex]

1. What is matrix diagonalization?

Matrix diagonalization is a process in linear algebra where a square matrix is transformed into a diagonal matrix by finding a new basis for the matrix that consists of its eigenvectors. This allows for simpler calculations and easier analysis of the matrix.

2. Why is matrix diagonalization important?

Matrix diagonalization is important because it simplifies the matrix and makes it easier to work with. It also provides insights into the properties of the matrix, such as its eigenvalues and eigenvectors, which are useful in many applications.

3. How is matrix diagonalization done?

Matrix diagonalization involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, and then using these to construct a diagonal matrix. This is typically done using techniques such as the diagonalization algorithm or diagonalization by similarity transformations.

4. What are the benefits of matrix diagonalization?

There are several benefits of matrix diagonalization, including simplification of calculations, easier identification of matrix properties, and the ability to solve certain types of problems more efficiently. Additionally, diagonal matrices have special properties that make them useful in many applications, such as in solving systems of linear equations.

5. In what fields is matrix diagonalization commonly used?

Matrix diagonalization is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It is particularly useful in quantum mechanics, signal processing, control systems, and optimization problems.