1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Diagonalization

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My linear algebra textbook defines...

similar matrices: A = C^-1BC
    diagonalized similar matrices: A = CDC^-1
    A^n = C^-1*D^n*C

Why do the C^-1 and C's get switched around between the definitions? Doesn't order of multiplication matter? Are these the correct definitions? Is A^n really the opposite of the definition for diagonalized similar matrices, or is this an error?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That couldn't possibly have been the definition your book gave. What did you omit?

4. Mar 21, 2009 #3
    Nope, that's it! He has us using his own lecture notes, instead of a published textbook. This is why I thought it could potentially be an error.

So if I'm diagonalizing a matrix, there exists C such that A = CDC^-1 but when I want to find A^n, I solve C^-1*D^n*C (the C inverse and C switch spots). Is that on purpose?

5. Mar 21, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing else, really? Nothing like
    A and B are similar matrices if ...​
    or
    ... if there exists an invertible matrix C such that ...​
    ?

P.S. if [itex]A = C D C^{-1}[/itex], then we do indeed have [itex]A^n = C D^n C^{-1}[/itex]. (For nonnegative integers n. Negative is allowed if D is invertible) And, of course, if we have the equation [itex]A = C^{-1} D C[/itex] then we can infer [itex]A^n = C^{-1} D^n C[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook