Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Elements of Vectors

1. Jul 24, 2014 #1
    What exactly is all this 'matrix elements of vectors' stuff that Landau is talking about?

I don't mean to ask people unfamiliar with this section to read it for me, so hopefully for someone who's read it - what's going on and where would I find a more modern discussion of this section (I'm sure this whole chapter should become easy when written in modern notation)?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2014 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

A state in quantum mechanics is a vector. If one chooses a basis, it has a representation as a column vector.

An operator in quantum mechanics is a linear operators on the state, so again, if one chooses a basis, the operator has a representation as a matrix. The matrix elements are labelled according to the row and column of the matrix.

Here is an example. The Pauli matrices are a representation of the spin operators, written in the basis such the a spin in the +z direction is the column vector [1 0]T, and a spin in the -z direction is the column vector [0 1]T.
    http://faculty.cua.edu/sober/611/Spin_and_Pauli_matrices.pdf [Broken]
    http://web.uconn.edu/~ch351vc/pdfs/spin1.pdf

To get the matrix element that is in the first row and first column of the σz Pauli matrix, one does:
    <spin in up direction|σz|spin in up diection> = [1 0]σz[1 0]T

To get the matrix element that is in the second row and first column of the σz Pauli matrix, one does:
    <spin in down direction|σz|spin in up diection> = [0 1]σz[1 0]T

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook