Position-Space Kinetic Energy Operator: Does Representation Matter?

In summary: So the matrix elements of the T-operator in e.g. the momentum basis are given byT_{i,j} = \langle \psi_{k_1} | \hat{T} | \psi_{k_2} \rangle = \int {dr\,\psi_{k_1}^* (r)} \,\,T(r,\nabla _r )\,\psi _{k_1}^{} (r). In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of matrix elements and linear operators in quantum mechanics. The focus is on the kinetic energy operator, which can be expressed in different representations such as position-space or momentum space. The matrix elements of the operator are basis dependent,
Niles
Hi

This is actually a question regarding some formalism of QM, but I guess this is the place to ask it. Say we are looking at some kinetic energy operator T = T(r, ∇r), which has the form

[tex]
T = \sum\limits_{i,j} {T_{i,j} \left| \psi_i \right\rangle \left\langle \psi_j \right|}
[/tex]

in some arbitrary representation. The matrix elements Ti, j are given by

[tex]
T_{i,j} = \int {dr\,\psi _i^* (r)} \,\,T(r,\nabla _r )\,\psi _j^{} (r)
[/tex]

My question is: The matrix element Ti, j as written above is found in position-space. Does it give the same value regardless of what representation we choose to find it in?

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think?

I think it does depend on the basis: It is diagonal in the eigenbasis, but non-diagonal in a non-eigenbasis. Is my reasoning correct?

Yes; this is actually just linear algebra (but then in infinite dimensions, so functional analysis). The matrix of a linear operator depends heavily on the basis you choose (one should say "the matrix of T w.r.t. to the basis B").

And just as in good old linear algebra, the matrix of T w.r.t. the basis B is diagonal if and only if B consists entirely of eigenvectors of T. This follows directly from the definition.

Great, thanks. When I have an operator written in this form

[tex]

T = \sum\limits_{i,j} {T_{i,j} \left| \psi_i \right\rangle \left\langle \psi_j \right|}

[/tex]

with

[tex]

[/tex]

then is it correct to say that the operator is written in position-space?

Niles said:
Great, thanks. When I have an operator written in this form

[tex]

[/tex]

with

[tex]

[/tex]

then is it correct to say that the operator is written in position-space?

No, then it is written in [tex]\left\{\left| \psi_i \right\rangle\right\}[/tex] basis and [tex]T_{i,j}[/tex] is the matrix representation of [tex]T[/tex] in this basis (using linear algebra terminology). You need to express [tex]T[/tex] in terms of [tex]T(r,\nabla_r)[/tex] and [tex]\left| r \right\rangle[/tex], for [tex]T[/tex] to be written in "position-space".

element4 said:
No, then it is written in [tex]\left\{\left| \psi_i \right\rangle\right\}[/tex] basis and [tex]T_{i,j}[/tex] is the matrix representation of [tex]T[/tex] in this basis (using linear algebra terminology). You need to express [tex]T[/tex] in terms of [tex]T(r,\Delta_r)[/tex] and [tex]\left| r \right\rangle[/tex], for [tex]T[/tex] to be written in "position-space".

But wait a minute: We just agreed that the matrix elements are basis dependent, and we have found our elements in real space. Then how can we still be in [itex]
\left\{\left| \psi_i \right\rangle\right\}
[/itex]?

Another thing: I have always interpreted [itex]
\left\{\left| r \right\rangle\right\}
[/itex] and [itex]
[/itex] to be somewhat equivalent, i.e. representation-free states. So I am not sure what you mean when you say I have to express it in terms of [itex]\left\{\left| r \right\rangle\right\}.
[/itex]

Last edited:
Niles said:
But wait a minute: We just agreed that the matrix elements are basis dependent, and we have found our elements in real space. Then how can we still be in [itex]
[/itex]?

Another thing: I have always interpreted [itex]
\left\{\left| r \right\rangle\right\}
[/itex] and [itex]
[/itex] to be somewhat equivalent, i.e. representation-free states. So I am not sure what you mean when you say I have to express it in terms of [itex]\left\{\left| r \right\rangle\right\}.
[/itex]

[tex]| r \rangle[/tex] and [tex]| \psi_i \rangle[/tex] are not really equivalent. [tex]| r \rangle[/tex] are the eigenstates of the position operator, while [tex]| \psi_i \rangle[/tex] are some other basis. By inserting the identity operator in the form

[tex] \sum_m | \chi_m \rangle \langle \chi_m | ~\text{or}~ \int dr | r \rangle \langle r | ,[/tex]

into the matrix element, we can obtain formulas for the transformation of the matrix elements under a change of basis to some new states [tex]|\chi_m\rangle[/tex] or to the position basis.

Your [tex]T(r,\nabla_r)[/tex] is the expression for the operator in position space. It's analogous to saying that [tex]\hat{p} = -i\hbar \nabla_r[/tex] is the position space representation of the momentum operator. If you want to be perfectly accurate about what we mean when we write [tex]\hat{T}[/tex] in the position basis, we really mean

[tex] \hat{T} = \int dr | r\rangle T(r,\nabla_r) \langle r|. ~~~(*) [/tex]

When you write

[tex] T_{i,j} = \langle \psi_i | \hat{T} | \psi_j \rangle = \int {dr\,\psi _i^* (r)} \,\,T(r,\nabla _r )\,\psi _j^{} (r),
[/tex]

You're actually using the formula (*) and noting that the expressions

[tex] \langle r | \psi_j \rangle = \psi_j (r)[/tex]

have been identified as the wavefunctions.

Note that we can also consider the matrix elements of [tex]\hat{T}[/tex] in position space:

[tex] \langle r | \hat{T} | r' \rangle = T(r,\nabla _r ) \delta(r-r'),[/tex]

which can be easily derived from (*).

1) So the matrix elements of the T-operator in e.g. the momentum basis are given by

[tex]
T_{i,j} = \langle \psi_{k_1} | \hat{T} | \psi_{k_2} \rangle = \int {dr\,\psi_{k_1}^* (r)} \,\,T(r,\nabla _r )\,\psi _{k_1}^{} (r).
[/tex]

2) Ok, now let's say I want to write [itex]\hat{T}[/itex] in the momentum basis. What I do is

[tex]
\hat T = \hat 1 \times \hat T \times \hat 1 = \sum\limits_{k_1 ,k_2 } {\left| {k_1 } \right\rangle \left\langle {k_1 } \right|\hat T\left| {k_2 } \right\rangle \left\langle {k_2 } \right|},
[/tex]

where we find the matrix elements as in #1.

3) If the above in #1 and #2 is correct, I have to ask: Why is it that we are integration over r when finding matrix elements? I assume it is because our operators are usually given in real space (e.g. [itex]\hat{p} = -i\hbar \nabla_r[/itex] as you said), but would we get the same if we had integrated over k?Niles.

Niles said:
1) So the matrix elements of the T-operator in e.g. the momentum basis are given by

[tex]
T_{i,j} = \langle \psi_{k_1} | \hat{T} | \psi_{k_2} \rangle = \int {dr\,\psi_{k_1}^* (r)} \,\,T(r,\nabla _r )\,\psi _{k_1}^{} (r).
[/tex]

2) Ok, now let's say I want to write [itex]\hat{T}[/itex] in the momentum basis. What I do is

[tex]
\hat T = \hat 1 \times \hat T \times \hat 1 = \sum\limits_{k_1 ,k_2 } {\left| {k_1 } \right\rangle \left\langle {k_1 } \right|\hat T\left| {k_2 } \right\rangle \left\langle {k_2 } \right|},
[/tex]

where we find the matrix elements as in #1.

Those are both correct.

3) If the above in #1 and #2 is correct, I have to ask: Why is it that we are integration over r when finding matrix elements? I assume it is because our operators are usually given in real space (e.g. [itex]\hat{p} = -i\hbar \nabla_r[/itex] as you said), but would we get the same if we had integrated over k?

Since x and p are conjugate variables, we can change to a momentum representation. We could have written

[tex]\hat{T} = \int dp |p\rangle T(-i\hbar \nabla_p, p) \langle p |, [/tex]

or instead derived this expression from an explicit change of basis.

This is actually a simple expression as long as the kinetic energy has the standard form [tex]\hat{T} = \hat{p}^2/(2m)[/tex]. However the momentum basis is not usually used because the potential energy becomes a very complicated differential operator.

Just to be absolutely positive: Would

[tex]
T_{i,j} = \langle \psi_{i} | \hat{T} | \psi_{j} \rangle = \int {dr\,\psi_{i}^* (r)} \,\,T(r,\nabla _r )\,\psi _{j}^{} (r).
[/tex]

and [tex]
T_{i,j} = \langle \psi_{i} | \hat{T} | \psi_{j} \rangle = \int {dp\,\psi_{i}^* (p)} \,\,T(-i\hbar \nabla_p,p)\,\psi _{j}^{} (p).
[/tex]

yield the same matrix element? (I personally think yes, since they are basically both found in the same basis, more specifically the [itex]
| \psi_i \rangle
[/itex] basis).

Last edited:
Yes, [tex]\psi_j(r)[/tex] and [tex]\psi_j(p)[/tex] are just Fourier transforms of one another:

[tex] \langle p | \psi_j \rangle = \int dx \langle p | x \rangle \langle x | \psi_i \rangle . [/tex]

Thanks, it was very kind of you and everybody else to help.Niles.

1. What is the position-space kinetic energy operator?

The position-space kinetic energy operator is a mathematical representation of the kinetic energy of a particle in a given position within a system. It is used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior and motion of particles at a specific location.

2. How is the position-space kinetic energy operator derived?

The position-space kinetic energy operator is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It involves the use of the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of a system.

3. What is the importance of representation in the position-space kinetic energy operator?

The choice of representation in the position-space kinetic energy operator can significantly affect the accuracy of the results obtained in quantum mechanical calculations. Different representations may have different levels of complexity and may require different mathematical techniques to solve.

4. How does the representation affect the position-space kinetic energy operator?

The representation can affect the position-space kinetic energy operator through the choice of basis functions used to represent the position of the particle. Different basis functions may result in different values for the kinetic energy, which can influence the overall behavior and properties of the system being studied.

5. Can the position-space kinetic energy operator be used for all types of particles?

Yes, the position-space kinetic energy operator can be used for all types of particles, including electrons, protons, and neutrons. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is applicable to all types of quantum systems.