Solving Matrix Equations: x = Cx + d to x = [(I - C)^(-1)]d

• Thread starter Cinitiator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, to go from x = Cx + d to x = [(I − C)^(-1)]d in a matrix equation, you can start by writing the equation as Ix = Cx + d, where I is the identity matrix. Then, you can solve for x by taking the inverse of (I-C) and multiplying it by d, as shown in the equation x = [(I − C)^(-1)]d. If you are not familiar with matrices, it may be best to avoid answering questions that involve them.
Cinitiator

Homework Statement

How does one go from

x = Cx + d

to

x = [(I − C)^(-1)]d

in a matrix equation?

Homework Equations

x = Cx + d

x = [(I − C)^(-1)]d

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to Google.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you need to get there using a matrix equation or just know how to get there? I know how to get to that equation without matrices. I would not know how to get there with them though. Matrices were never my strong suit.

edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuepwWQ4_mM I think you might find this helpful.

Cinitiator said:

Homework Statement

How does one go from

x = Cx + d

to

x = [(I − C)^(-1)]d

in a matrix equation?

Homework Equations

x = Cx + d

x = [(I − C)^(-1)]d

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to Google.

I is the identity matrix, yes? Ix=x. So write the equation as Ix=Cx+d. Can you take it from there?

Think about how you'd solve this with your usual numbers
x=ax+b
(1-a)x=b
x=(1-a)^-1 b
You followin'?

Shootertrex said:
Do you need to get there using a matrix equation or just know how to get there? I know how to get to that equation without matrices. I would not know how to get there with them though. Matrices were never my strong suit.
The equation uses matrices, so if you don't feel confident answering a question that involves matrices, you shouldn't respond.
Shootertrex said:
edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuepwWQ4_mM I think you might find this helpful.

1. What is a matrix equation?

A matrix equation is an equation that involves matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers. It is expressed in the form of Ax = b, where A is the coefficient matrix, x is the variable matrix, and b is the constant matrix.

2. What is the purpose of solving matrix equations?

The purpose of solving matrix equations is to find the unique solution for the variable matrix x that satisfies the equation Ax = b. This is useful in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics, where systems of linear equations often arise.

3. What is the difference between a regular equation and a matrix equation?

In a regular equation, the operations involve only numbers, while in a matrix equation, the operations involve matrices. This means that in a matrix equation, the variables can be arrays of numbers rather than just single numbers.

4. What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It is denoted as A-1 and is only defined for square matrices.

5. How do you solve a matrix equation using the formula x = [(I - C)^(-1)]d?

To solve a matrix equation of the form x = Cx + d using the formula x = [(I - C)^(-1)]d, you first need to find the inverse of (I - C). Then, multiply this inverse by d to get the solution for x. This formula is based on the idea that when you subtract Cx from both sides of the equation, you get x - Cx = d, which can be rewritten as (I - C)x = d.