1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix equation

1. Jun 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the two numerical values of λ such that

[itex]
    \left(\begin{array}{cc}4&3\\1&2\end{array}\right)
    \left(\begin{array}{cc}u\\1\end{array}\right)

\left(\begin{array}{cc}u\\1\end{array}\right)
    [/itex]

Hence or otherwise find the equations of the two lines through the origin which are invariant under the transformation of the plane defined by

[itex]
    \left(\begin{array}{cc}x\prime\\y\prime\end{array}\right)
    =

\left(\begin{array}{cc}x\\y\end{array}\right)
    [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe [itex]
    [/itex] represents a non uniform scale and shear. If λ is a numerical value it can only scale uniformly which suggests there is no solution to the initial equation. However, my text book tells me the 2 numerical values are 5 and 1.

I skipped this first part of the question and found the two invariant lines by setting [itex]y=mx+c [/itex] equal to [itex] y\prime=mx\prime+c[/itex]. If someone could help me understand the first part of the question I would be very appreciative.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi App,

Can you write out the two equations that follow from the first matrix multiplication ? Eliminating ##\lambda## first seems the easiest to me; then the two values for u give the book values for ##\lambda##.

4. Jun 3, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question is asking you to find the eigenvalues ##\lambda_1, \lambda_2## of the matrix
    [tex] A =\pmatrix{4&3\\1&2} [/tex]
    and to show that the eigenvectors of ##A## have the form
    [tex] \pmatrix{u\\1} [/tex]
    See, eg., http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/LA_Eigen.aspx .

5. Jun 3, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The equation [itex]\begin{pmatrix}4 & 3 \\ 1 & 2 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} u \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}= \lambda\begin{pmatrix} u \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/itex] is the same as the two equations [itex]4u+ 3= \lambda u[/itex] and [itex]u+ 2= \lambda[/itex]. That second equation is the same as [itex]u= \lambda- 2[/itex]. Replace u in the first equation with [itex]\lambda- 2[/itex] to get an equation in [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  6. Jun 4, 2015 #5
    Thanks for the help. I guess I wasn't taking into account the fact that u is not constant.

I am still having difficulty understanding how the 2nd part of the question follows from the first. My book has not yet explicitly introduced me to eigenvectors, so I am presuming that the connection can be deduced from very rudimentary matrix principles.

7. Jun 4, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In fact, u is a constant---it is just the case that you don't know its value yet. Ditto for ##\lambda##.

Basically, you just need to write down the two equations in ##u## that you get from rows 1 and 2 of your matrix; then you have two equations in the single unknown ##u##. (The equations have an undetermined parameter ##\lambda## in them.) In order for these two equations to be consistent, the value (or values) of ##\lambda## must be special, and figuring out these special values is the crux of your problem.

8. Jun 4, 2015 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, it can, which should reinforce what an eigenvector is when it is formally defined.

9. Jun 5, 2015 #8
    I think I get it now. So the value of λ is superfluous for the second part of the question, it is only really u that we are concerned with at this stage, since u defines the vectors which, when multiplied by λ define the 2 invariant lines through the origin.

Thanks for all your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted