Matrix Inversion and the Associative Property

In summary: C-1B-1A-1Exactly. Just take them two at a time:(ABC)-1 = ((AB)C)-1= C-1(AB)-1 =...= C-1B-1A-1In summary, when dealing with matrices, it is important to remember that their multiplication is not commutative. Therefore, when simplifying expressions with exponents, we cannot "distribute" the exponent like we would for ordinary numbers. Additionally, when dealing with inverse matrices, we must reverse the order of the matrices.
negation

Homework Statement

Is it true that:

(ABA^-1)^8 = AB^8A^-1 for all n x n matrix and not just for invertible matrix?

My attempt:

(ABA^-1)^8 =A^8B^8A^-8

Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:
(ABA^-1)^8 =A^8B^8A^-8
That's not correct. You can't "distribute" the exponent like that for matrices.

Start with a simpler problem: what is ##(A B A^{-1})^{2}##?

DrClaude said:
That's not correct. You can't "distribute" the exponent like that for matrices.

Start with a simpler problem: what is ##(A B A^{-1})^{2}##?

I can't see what is written. But I presume you wrote (ABA^-1)^2 based on my intuition of the code.

(ABA^-1)^2 = ((AB)A^-1)^2 = (AB)^2 (A^-1)^2 = (B^2A^2)A^-2

negation said:
I can't see what is written. But I presume you wrote (ABA^-1)^2 based on my intuition of the code.
You'll have to find a way to solve that problem, otherwise you'll have difficulty reading most posts in PF!

negation said:
((AB)A^-1)^2 = (AB)^2 (A^-1)^2
Again, you can't distribute the exponent like that, because multiplication of matrices is not commutative.

Go back to first principles: A2 = AA

Likes 1 person
DrClaude said:
You'll have to find a way to solve that problem, otherwise you'll have difficulty reading most posts in PF!

Again, you can't distribute the exponent like that, because multiplication of matrices is not commutative.

Go back to first principles: A2 = AA

I haven't been able to troubleshoot it because it occurs at certain chances on the same computer. But usually it works fine.

((AB)A^-1)^2 = (ABA^-1) (ABA^-1)

negation said:
((AB)A^-1)^2 = (ABA^-1) (ABA^-1)
Good. Now simplify that expression.

DrClaude said:
Good. Now simplify that expression.

AABBA^-1A^-1

Is this a valid operation?

negation said:
AABBA^-1A^-1

Is this a valid operation?
Absolutely not! Again, matrix multiplication is not commutative: AB ≠ BA. You can't move around the different matrices, like you would do for ordinary numbers.

What you have is

(ABA-1)(ABA-1) = A B A-1 A B A-1

Is there anything in there you can simplify?

drclaude said:
absolutely not! Again, matrix multiplication is not commutative: Ab ≠ ba. You can't move around the different matrices, like you would do for ordinary numbers.

What you have is

(aba-1)(aba-1) = a b a-1 a b a-1

is there anything in there you can simplify?

aa^-1a^-1abb

Should I try to get it simplified to identity matrix?

negation said:
aa^-1a^-1abb
Please, you are not allowed to move things around. You have to take every matrix in the order it appears.

What I want you do to is to find two consecutive matrices that you can simplify into something else.

Likes 1 person
DrClaude said:
Please, you are not allowed to move things around. You have to take every matrix in the order it appears.

What I want you do to is to find two consecutive matrices that you can simplify into something else.

Am I allowed to introduce matrices?

negation said:
Am I allowed to introduce matrices?
Yes, if they do not change the result, either because you do the same on both sides of an equality (meaning you can only multiply on the extrement left or extreme right), or by introducing the identity matrix I (which is neutral in terms of multiplication).

But, in your case, you do not need to do that. What do you find in the middle of the product?

Likes 1 person
DrClaude said:
Yes, if they do not change the result, either because you do the same on both sides of an equality (meaning you can only multiply on the extrement left or extreme right), or by introducing the identity matrix I (which is neutral in terms of multiplication).

But, in your case, you do not need to do that. What do you find in the middle of the product?
There's A^-1A which can be simplified to an identity I.

If this is valid, I have ABBA^-1, and base on def of first principle

BB = B^2

this gives

AB^2A^-1

DrClaude said:

AB^2A^-1 is correct. Very positive.
Would it also be valid to say that (ABC)^-1 =/= (A^-1B^-1C^-1)?

If the exponent is more than 2, is there an abstract proof I can perform without having to flood the paper with Ai=1 .. . . .. . .Ai=n?

negation said:
AB^2A^-1 is correct. Very positive.

If the exponent is more than 2, is there an abstract proof I can perform without having to flood the paper with Ai=1 .. . . .. . .Ai=n?

For an exponent 2n, you have
(A B A-1)2n = ((A B A-1)2)2n-1 = (A B2 A-1)2n-1 which you can use to start the proof.

You can also show the result for an exponent 2, then 4, then get the general formula by induction.

Likes 1 person
DrClaude said:
For an exponent 2n, you have
(A B A-1)2n = ((A B A-1)2)2n-1 = (A B2 A-1)2n-1 which you can use to start the proof.

You can also show the result for an exponent 2, then 4, then get the general formula by induction.

On a related note,

Would it also be valid to say that (ABC)^-1 == (A^-1B^-1C^-1)?
Since operation between inverse are different?

negation said:
On a related note,

Would it also be valid to say that (ABC)^-1 == (A^-1B^-1C^-1)?
Since operation between inverse are different?
You have to reverse the order of the matrices:

(AB)-1 = B-1A-1

DrClaude said:
You have to reverse the order of the matrices:

(AB)-1 = B-1A-1

Yes I understand I have to. The conudrum comes in when there are more than 2 matrix.

But I'd give it a try:

(ABC)^-1 = C^-1 B^-1 A^-1

negation said:
Yes I understand I have to. The conudrum comes in when there are more than 2 matrix.

But I'd give it a try:

Exactly. Just take them two at a time:

(ABC)-1 = ((AB)C)-1= C-1(AB)-1 = C-1B-1A-1

Likes 1 person
Just bear with me for a moment.

A^-1 = BC then C^-1 = AB is true.

(A^-1)^-1 = (BC)^-1 = C^-1 B^-1

(Inverse of an inverse is the original matrix)

A = C^-1 B^-1

I'm a little confused here. I know I have to multiply both sides but B but nebulous as regard the order.

But from what I at least know:

AB = C^-1 B^-1 B

AB = C^-1

DrClaude said:
Exactly. Just take them two at a time:

(ABC)-1 = ((AB)C)-1= C-1(AB)-1 = C-1B-1A-1

Can I then generalized the form:

(Ai. . . An-2, An-1, An)^-1 = (An)^-1, (An-1) ^-1, (An-2)^-1. . . (Ai)^-1 ? or would it be a cardinal sin?

negation said:
Just bear with me for a moment.

A^-1 = BC then C^-1 = AB is true.

(A^-1)^-1 = (BC)^-1 = C^-1 B^-1

(Inverse of an inverse is the original matrix)

A = C^-1 B^-1

I'm a little confused here. I know I have to multiply both sides but B but nebulous as regard the order.

But from what I at least know:

AB = C^-1 B^-1 B

AB = C^-1
What you wrote is correct. You have indeed to multiply B from the right on both sides.

Likes 1 person
negation said:
Can I then generalized the form:

(Ai. . . An-2, An-1, An)^-1 = (An)^-1, (An-1) ^-1, (An-2)^-1. . . (Ai)^-1 ? or would it be a cardinal sin?

Apart from the commas, yes, you can make that generalization.

Additional note: all we've been writing is only valid if each matrix is individually invertible.

Likes 1 person
DrClaude said:
Apart from the commas, yes, you can make that generalization.

woops. It should be a '.' notation.

What about (-4A)^-1? There are no other matrice(s) for me to swap with.

DrClaude said:
Additional note: all we've been writing is only valid if each matrix is individually invertible.

Yes I'm aware.

negation said:
What about (-4A)^-1? There are no other matrice(s) for me to swap with.
By definition of the inverse, you have that (cA)-1 = A-1/c (where c is a scalar).

negation said:

But I'd give it a try:

Yes, ABC is the inverse of C-1B-1A-1. To verify this, notice that (ABC) * (C-1B-1A-1) = (AB)CC-1(B-1A-1) = (AB)I(B-1A-1) = (AB)(B-1A-1) = (A)BB-1(A-1 = AIA-1 = AA-1 = I.

If the product of two matrices is I, the two matrices are inverses of one another. Since (ABC)(C-1B-1A-1) = I, ABC and C-1B-1A-1 are inverses.

Although matrix multiplication is not generally commutative (i.e., AB ≠ BA, in general), matrix multiplication is associative, a fact that I used multiple times in my work above.

Edit: I didn't notice that there was a 2nd page of posts in this thread...

negation said:

But I'd give it a try:

There is no conundrum. Just write ABC = AD, where D = BC; this uses the "associative" property of matrix multiplication: A(BC) = (AB)C, which is why it makes sense to write ABC without parentheses. Anyway, (ABC)^(-1) = (AD)^(-1) = D^(-1) A ^(-1), and D^(-1) = C^(-1) B^(-1).

1. What are the basic rules for computing the exponent of a matrix?

The basic rules for computing the exponent of a matrix are as follows:

• For a matrix A, A0 = I (the identity matrix)
  • If A and B are both square matrices of the same size, then (AB)n = AnBn for any positive integer n
  • If A is a square matrix and k is a scalar, then (kA)n = knAn
  • If A is a square matrix and An is defined, then (An)m = Anm
  • If A and B are both square matrices of the same size and A is invertible, then (ABA-1)n = AnBnA-n

2. How do you calculate the exponent of a matrix using diagonalization?

To calculate the exponent of a matrix using diagonalization, follow these steps:

1. Diagonalize the matrix A by finding its eigenvalues and eigenvectors
  2. Write A as a product of its eigenvectors and eigenvalues: A = PDP-1 where P is the matrix of eigenvectors and D is the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues
  3. Calculate An by raising D to the nth power: An = PDnP-1
  4. If necessary, convert the result back to the original basis by multiplying by P-1

3. What is the relationship between the exponent of a matrix and its diagonal elements?

The relationship between the exponent of a matrix and its diagonal elements is as follows:

If A is a diagonalizable matrix, then An can be calculated by raising its diagonal elements to the nth power, with all other elements remaining the same.

4. Can the exponent of a non-square matrix be calculated?

No, the exponent of a non-square matrix cannot be calculated because the exponent of a matrix is only defined for square matrices.

5. How do you handle negative or fractional exponents in matrix exponentiation?

To handle negative or fractional exponents in matrix exponentiation, you can use the definition of the matrix inverse. For example, A-1 can be used to represent the inverse of matrix A, and A1/2 can be used to represent the square root of matrix A. Additionally, you can use the diagonalization method to calculate negative or fractional powers of a matrix.