Matrix Exponential to a Matrix

In summary, the logm function will take matrix logs for numerical calculations, but it's limited to recursive and idempotent/nilpotent matrices.
DuckAmuck
If we have two square matrices of the same size P and Q, we can put one in the exponent of the other by:
[tex] M = P^Q = e^{ln(P)Q} [/tex]
ln(P) may give multiple results R, which are square matrices the same size as P.
So then we have:
[tex] M = e^{RQ} [/tex]
which can be Taylor expanded to arrive at a final square matrix (matrices) M.

I've been wondering about this, and want to know if my approach is valid. Thank you.

Also, does anyone know any tricks in computing the log of a matrix?
If P is not diagonalizable, it seems you'd have to use the Taylor series expansion. So you'd have an expansion within an expansion for M.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DuckAmuck said:
If we have two square matrices of the same size P and Q, we can put one in the exponent of the other by:
[tex] M = P^Q = e^{ln(P)Q} [/tex]
##\ln(P)## is only well-defined when P is invertible; otherwise P does not have a logarithm.

The wikipedia article on matrix logarithms has some discussion on computing the logarithm in the non-diagonalizable case.

MATLAB has a logm function to take matrix logs for numerical calculations.

If you're doing symbolic work, there's one trick I remember from doing exponentials by hand. I don't know the fancy/correct term for it, but often times when evaluating a matrix power series the powers of the matrix will repeat after a certain number of powers. For example, the generator of the 2D special orthogonal group is [0, -1; 1, 0]. Square that and you get [-1, 0; 0, -1]. Cube it and you get [0, 1; -1, 0]. Fourth power gives you [1, 0; 0, 1]. Since that's just the identity you the fifth power is [0, -1; 1, 0] and the cycle repeats. The fifth power equals the first, the sixth equals the second, and so on. I suppose you could say that in such cases the sequence of all powers of [0, -1; 1, 0] is homomorphic to Z4 under matrix multiplication, or I could be just making a fool outta myself. That way the power series reduces to a sum over four terms. It should apply to any convergent Taylor series if the powers of the generating matrix repeat.

Can you give us a little more info on what logs you want to take?

Twigg said:
MATLAB has a logm function to take matrix logs for numerical calculations.

If you're doing symbolic work, there's one trick I remember from doing exponentials by hand. I don't know the fancy/correct term for it, but often times when evaluating a matrix power series the powers of the matrix will repeat after a certain number of powers. For example, the generator of the 2D special orthogonal group is [0, -1; 1, 0]. Square that and you get [-1, 0; 0, -1]. Cube it and you get [0, 1; -1, 0]. Fourth power gives you [1, 0; 0, 1]. Since that's just the identity you the fifth power is [0, -1; 1, 0] and the cycle repeats. The fifth power equals the first, the sixth equals the second, and so on. I suppose you could say that in such cases the sequence of all powers of [0, -1; 1, 0] is homomorphic to Z4 under matrix multiplication, or I could be just making a fool outta myself. That way the power series reduces to a sum over four terms. It should apply to any convergent Taylor series if the powers of the generating matrix repeat.

Can you give us a little more info on what logs you want to take?

I just recently discovered logm and expm, which are quite handy for this sort of thing.
I'm not trying to take any particular logs. I am more curious about what the limitations of this operation are.
Obviously recursive and idempotent/nilpotent matrices would be nice here. :)

1. What is the Matrix Exponential to a Matrix?

The Matrix Exponential to a Matrix is a mathematical operation that involves raising a square matrix to a power. This operation is similar to raising a number to a power, but it is performed on a matrix instead.

2. How is the Matrix Exponential to a Matrix calculated?

The Matrix Exponential to a Matrix is calculated using the exponential function, where each element in the original matrix is raised to the given power. The resulting matrix will have the same dimensions as the original matrix.

3. What are the applications of the Matrix Exponential to a Matrix?

The Matrix Exponential to a Matrix has various applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used in solving systems of differential equations, computing the growth of a population, and analyzing the behavior of dynamical systems.

4. What is the relationship between the Matrix Exponential to a Matrix and the eigenvalues of a matrix?

The Matrix Exponential to a Matrix is closely related to the eigenvalues of a matrix. The eigenvalues are the values that, when plugged into the exponential function, result in the Matrix Exponential to the Matrix. In other words, the eigenvalues determine the behavior of the Matrix Exponential to the Matrix.

5. Can the Matrix Exponential to a Matrix be calculated for any matrix?

No, the Matrix Exponential to a Matrix can only be calculated for square matrices (matrices with the same number of rows and columns). Additionally, the matrix must have all real or complex entries for the exponential function to be defined.