How Can I Compute exp(tA) Using Matrix A?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving matrix A and finding its exponential, exp(tA). The poster is unsure of how to simplify each component's expansion and is seeking help in getting started. Another poster suggests breaking A up into two matrices that commute, but notes that matrix A is not diagonalizable. The conversation then delves into finding eB, a rotation matrix, which can be used to write the general solution in the form X(t)=e^{tA}X_0, where X_0=X(0). The final part of the conversation discusses the form of the general solution and whether or not to plug in 0 at some point.
Unassuming

Homework Statement

A=[tex]\begin{bmatrix}-1 & 2 & 0\\-2 & -1 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & -3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Use matrix A and compute exp(tA) explicitly.

Homework Equations

I am having trouble figuring out how to start this. I know how to look at each component of matrix A and to use exp(tA)=I+tA +...(exponential expansion) but I am not sure how to simplify each component's expansion. I don't know if there is an easier way to break matrix A up? Please help me to get started!

3.I have noticed that this matrix A is in canonical form with complex eigenvalues and 1 distinct eigenvalue -3. I tried to break this matrix up into 2 matrices (B and C) that commute so that exp(A)=exp(B)exp(C), but matrix C is a nilpotent matrix with all 0's except -3(bottom right corner) and matrix B has an alpha-beta block in the upper right left corner...

The attempt at a solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice [tex] \begin{bmatrix}-1 & 2 & 0\\-2 & -1 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & -3\end{bmatrix} ^i = \begin{bmatrix}{((-1)^i (2i-1))} & {((-1)^{i-1} 2i)} & 0\\{(-1)^{i} 2i)} & {((-1)^i (2i-1))} & 0\\ 0 & 0 & (-3)^i\end{bmatrix}[/tex]. The series then is easily represented in a closed form.

Thank you for your help. Is the closed form the exp(A)? How do I incorporate t?

Yes, sorry, I meant, in a series, not closed form, hahah, do you need the actual sum?

yes please.

The actual sum would depend on element of the domain chosen where the image is to be evaluated.

I checked and noticed that matrix A does not follow component wise the given summation for the series since A[tex]^{3}[/tex]=[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 11&-2&0\\2&11&0\\0&0&-27\end{bmatrix}[/tex] and [tex]A^{4}[/tex]=[tex]\begin{bmatrix} -7&24&0\\-24&-7&0\\0&0&81\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I have to be able to use exp(tA) to write the system X'=AX in a general solution form. Please help me to figure out how to write exp(tA).

u have to diagonalize the mx first

davyjones said:
u have to diagonalize the mx first
mx? There is no "mx" in the problem. If you meant A, the whole point of this problem is that you can't diagonalize A: it is not diagonalizable. Of course, you can separate the -3: obviously e[sups]A[/sup] will have e-3 3rd row 3rd column and 0s elsewhere on the third row and column.

The whole problem, then, is finding eB where B is the matrix
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}-1 & 2 \\ -2 & -1\end{array}\right][/itex]
That has determinant 5 so we can write it as
[tex]5\left[\begin{array}{cc}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} & \frac{2}{\sqrt{5}} \\ \frac{-2}{\sqrt{5}} & \frac{-1}{\sqrt{5}}\end{array}\right][/tex]
and that matrix can be interpreted as a rotation matrix with [itex]cos(\theta)= -1/\sqrt{5}[/itex] and [itex]sin(\theta)= 2/\sqrt{5}[/itex]. ([itex]\theta[/itex] is about 116 degrees but that isn't important.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have part of the solution. I have [tex]e^{tA}[/tex].

Now I am asked to write the general solution in the form [tex]X(t)=e^{tA}X_0[/tex],

where [tex]X_0=X(0)[/tex].

I have figured the bulk of the work out, I just don't know exactly what form this is going to look like.

Will it look like this?

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}X_1(t) \\ X_2(t) \\ X_3(t) \end{bmatrix} = e^{tA} \begin{bmatrix} X_1(0) \\ X_2(0) \\ X_3(0) \end{bmatrix} [/tex].

EDIT: Also, should I plug that 0 in at some time for anything?

Last edited:

1. How do I compute exp(tA) using a matrix A?

To compute exp(tA) using a matrix A, you can use the formula exp(tA) = I + tA + (t^2/2!)A^2 + (t^3/3!)A^3 + ... + (t^n/n!)A^n, where I is the identity matrix and n is the desired number of terms to compute.

2. What is the significance of computing exp(tA) using a matrix A?

Computing exp(tA) using a matrix A is useful in solving differential equations, as it allows for a simpler and more efficient method of solving equations that involve matrices.

3. Can exp(tA) be computed for any type of matrix A?

Yes, exp(tA) can be computed for any square matrix A, as long as the matrix is diagonalizable (i.e. has a complete set of eigenvectors).

4. Is there a limit to the number of terms that can be used to compute exp(tA)?

Technically, there is no limit to the number of terms that can be used to compute exp(tA). However, using a larger number of terms may lead to more time-consuming computations and potential round-off errors.

5. Can exp(tA) be used to compute other matrix functions?

Yes, exp(tA) can be used as a building block for computing other matrix functions, such as sin(tA), cos(tA), and tanh(tA). This is because the series expansion for exp(tA) can be used to approximate these functions as well.