Proving Matrix Exponential Theorem: Unipotent & Nilpotent

In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem stating that if A is unipotent, then exp(log A) = A and if X is nilpotent, then log(exp X) = X. The speaker is looking for approaches to prove this, and mentions using the Jordan Chevalley decomposition and eigenvalues.
Josh1079
Hi,

I'm kind of stuck with this theorem stating that: if A is an unipotent matrix, then exp(log A) = A and also if X is nilpotent then log(exp X) = X

Does anyone know any good approaches to prove this?

I know that for unipotent A, logA will be nilpotent and that for nilpotent X, exp(X) will be unipotent

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Josh1079 said:
Hi,

I'm kind of stuck with this theorem stating that: if A is an unipotent matrix, then exp(log A) = A and also if X is nilpotent then log(exp X) = X

Does anyone know any good approaches to prove this?

I know that for unipotent A, logA will be nilpotent and that for nilpotent X, exp(X) will be unipotent

Thanks!
This depends a bit on what is given, resp. how the functions are defined. You could use a brute force method and simply insert everything into the series of ##\exp## and ##\log##. Or you could attack the problem with the Jordan Chevalley decomposition and / or the eigenvalues, resp. the characteristic polynomial. I haven't done it, but those keywords come to mind.

1. What is the Matrix Exponential Theorem?

The Matrix Exponential Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that a square matrix can be expressed as an exponential function of itself.

2. What is a unipotent matrix?

A unipotent matrix is a square matrix in which all the elements above the main diagonal (including the diagonal elements) are equal to 1.

3. What is a nilpotent matrix?

A nilpotent matrix is a square matrix in which all the elements above the main diagonal are equal to 0. This means that when the matrix is raised to a certain power, it becomes all 0's.

4. How do you prove the Matrix Exponential Theorem for unipotent matrices?

The proof for unipotent matrices involves using the Maclaurin series expansion and the binomial theorem to show that the matrix exponential function can be expressed as a polynomial in the matrix itself.

5. How do you prove the Matrix Exponential Theorem for nilpotent matrices?

The proof for nilpotent matrices involves using the Cayley-Hamilton theorem and induction to show that the matrix exponential function can be expressed as a polynomial in the matrix itself, with the highest power being equal to the degree of nilpotency.