1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix groups

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have done part a, proving the four axioms. I just dont understand part b) if someone could point me in the right direction...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose g=[a b,0 d] (I hope the informal matrix notation is clear) is in the center. That means for ANY g'=[a' b',0 d'] in the group, that g*g'=g'*g. Write that out in components. You should find a*b'+b*d'=a'*b+b'*d. Now since the primed components are arbitrary, what does this imply for g if you pick say, a'=1, b'=0 and d'=0. Or if you pick a'=0, b'=1 and d'=0???
  4. Feb 1, 2008 #3
    a = d , b = 0 ?
  5. Feb 1, 2008 #4
    ...so Z(G) = ( a 0 ,0 a ) ?
  6. Feb 1, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Does that say "Z(G)= {g | gh= hg for all h}"? The lower bar of the "=" is very pale and it looks like "gh- hg" which makes no sense!
  7. Feb 1, 2008 #6
    yes it does - strange though, shows up fine on my screen
  8. Feb 1, 2008 #7
    a quick reply would be much appreciated as i have to hand this in pretty soon
  9. Feb 1, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the center is the multiples of the identity.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  10. Feb 1, 2008 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?