1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Hamiltonian?

1. Jun 27, 2008 #1
    Matrix Hamiltonian???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have two non-identical spin 1/2 particles, which have vector magnetic moments S_1 and S_2. The interaction energy (Hamiltonian) is given by a constant times the dot product of S_1 and S_2. There is no external field present.

I need to find the eigenstates and eigenenergies, which I could easily do if the Hamiltonian was given as a matrix. Is there a way to write this H as a matrix or is there perhaps another way to find the eigen-items?

Thanks so much for any input!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2008 #2
    Re: Matrix Hamiltonian???

Since these spin-1/2 particles there are only two possible eigenstates for each of the particles: either S=(1,0)[tex]^{T}[/tex] or (0,1)[tex]^{T}[/tex]. Since these are non interacting particles, either one can be in either state, so you have 4 possible configurations for the system. Then it's just a matter of chugging through the algebra.

----------
    theUndergrad

http://www.theUndergraduateJournal.com/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?