Solving Matrix Help: Find Values of k w/o Solution

• Thread starter Coolies
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine which values of k would result in the system of equations not having a solution. Two methods are suggested, including performing a matrix operation to eliminate a variable and using the determinant of the matrix.
Coolies
Matrix Help! ahhh

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9982/matrixnq8.gif

What values of k does the system not have a solution?

I don't know how to do this question. Anybody have any ideas? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perform a matrix operation to one of the rows so that you can solve for one of the variables, in terms of k. What i would do is eliminate the 1 from the bottom row, so that it is of the form:

[ 0 f(k) g(k) ]

Then use the fact that if 0x = c (where c is some non zero constant), then the equation cannot be solved.

Another way to do this is when the determinant of the matrix is zero, then this system of equations has no solution.

Coolies said:
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9982/matrixnq8.gif

What values of k does the system not have a solution?

I don't know how to do this question. Anybody have any ideas? :)
Yes: try and solve the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
malawi_glenn said:
Another way to do this is when the determinant of the matrix is zero, then this system of equations has no solution.

You mean no unique sol'n. This is for the op's knowledge.

1. How do I solve a matrix without a solution?

There are several methods for solving a matrix without a solution. One approach is to use Gaussian elimination to reduce the matrix to its row echelon form and look for any inconsistencies or contradictions. Another method is to use determinants to check if the matrix is invertible, and if not, it does not have a solution.

2. Can I find the values of k by hand or do I need to use a calculator?

The complexity of finding the values of k without a solution depends on the size and complexity of the matrix. For simpler matrices, it is possible to solve by hand using elimination and substitution methods. However, for larger and more complex matrices, it may be more efficient to use a calculator or computer program.

3. What is the purpose of finding values of k without a solution?

Finding values of k without a solution is important in understanding the properties of a matrix and its relation to linear equations. It can also be helpful in identifying inconsistent or contradictory systems of equations, which can have real-world applications in fields such as economics and engineering.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving matrices without a solution?

While there are no specific shortcuts or tricks for solving matrices without a solution, having a strong understanding of matrix operations and properties can make the process more efficient. It is also helpful to use a systematic approach and check for consistency and contradictions along the way.

5. Can I use the same method for finding values of k without a solution for any matrix?

Yes, the methods for solving matrices without a solution are applicable to any matrix. However, the complexity and amount of calculations involved may vary depending on the size and complexity of the matrix. It is important to choose the most efficient method for each specific matrix.