How to Find Matrix A from Given Matrices B and C Using Row Operations

• Thread starter Rizzamabob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: The first row is the identity matrix, so multiplying any column by the identity gives you the same result.
Rizzamabob
Ok, i missed the class on finding the inverse of a matrix, and i only have a little bit of an idea on exactly what row operations i can do, when i try to make the matrix = its identity.

Another question I am stuck on.
Q.

I have 2 , 3 X 3 matrixs B and C respectivly.
The question is find A if AB=C, and i know B and C
Now, i know i cannot divide matrix's, and I am stuck as to what way i should travel to find the matrix A.
Thanks guys ! :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what you should do. You have:
[tex](AB)C = A(BC)[/tex]
so:
[tex]AB = C \Leftrightarrow (AB)B ^ {-1} = CB ^ {-1} = A(BB ^ {-1}) = A[/tex]
So:
[tex]A = CB ^ {-1}[/tex]
So all you need is to find the inverse of B, and do a multiplication [tex]CB ^ {-1}[/tex]
Viet Dao,

Thanks, can you explain the first bit
Did you use a rule to do that ?? or just decide to multiply one side by C, and one by BA

"Tools" you use:
- associativity: [itex]A\left( {BC} \right) = ABC = \left( {AB} \right)C[/itex]
- inverse (& identity-matrix): [itex]AA^{ - 1} = I = A^{ - 1} A[/itex]
- property of the identity-matrix: [itex]AI = IA = A[/itex]

[tex]\begin{gathered}
AB = C \hfill \\
{\text{multiply both sides at the right by }}B^{ - 1} : \hfill \\
ABB^{ - 1} = CB^{ - 1} \Leftrightarrow A\left( {BB^{ - 1} } \right) = CB^{ - 1} \hfill \\
{\text{since }}BB^{ - 1} = I: \hfill \\
AI = CB^{ - 1} \hfill \\
{\text{since }}AI = A: \hfill \\
A = CB^{ - 1} \hfill \\
\end{gathered}[/tex]

TD, I have only a two-hour class on matrix.
Multiplication of matrix can multiply on the right ?

Yes, you can multiply either right or left. In an equation though, you have to multiply both sides at the same place, so either both left or both right. So:
[tex]\begin{gathered}
A = B \Leftrightarrow AC = BC \to {\text{OK!}} \hfill \\
A = B \Leftrightarrow CA = CB \to {\text{OK!}} \hfill \\
A = B \Leftrightarrow AC = CB \to {\text{NOT OK!}} \hfill \\
A = B \Leftrightarrow CA = BC \to {\text{NOT OK!}} \hfill \\
\end{gathered} [/tex]

Rizzamabob said:
Ok, i missed the class on finding the inverse of a matrix, and i only have a little bit of an idea on exactly what row operations i can do, when i try to make the matrix = its identity.
For a matrix [tex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] the inverse of it will be [tex]\frac{1}{ad - bc} \left( \begin{array}{ccc}d&-b\\-c&a\end{array}\right)[/tex]

This means that if matrix [tex]A[/tex] is equal to [tex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] then [tex]A A^{-1}[/tex] is equal to the identity matrix (as TD said)

e.g. [tex]A A^{-1} = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right) \times \frac{1}{ad - bc} \left( \begin{array}{ccc}d&-b\\-c&a\end{array}\right) = I[/tex]

[tex]I = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}1&0\\0&1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

The Bob (2004 ©)

Does that work for 2X2 Matrix's only ??

Indeed, but in addition to Bob's explanation, this may be extended to larger matrices as followed:

[tex]A^{ - 1} = \frac{1}
{{\det \left( A \right)}}\operatorname{adj} \left( A \right)[/tex]

Note that you divide by [itex]{\det \left( A \right)}[/itex] so it is clear that for the inverse to exist, [itex]\det \left( A \right) \ne 0[/itex] must be true. Also, [itex]\operatorname{adj} \left( A \right)[/itex] stands for the Adjugate Matrix.

Another way is to extend the matrix to the right with the identity matrix and then swap (Gaussian Elimination), to get the identity left and the inverse on the right.

Last edited:
Does that work for 2X2 Matrix's only ??
Identity matrix must be a Square matrix

TD said:
"Tools" you use:
- associativity: [itex]A\left( {BC} \right) = ABC = \left( {AB} \right)C[/itex]
- inverse (& identity-matrix): [itex]AA^{ - 1} = I = A^{ - 1} A[/itex]
- property of the identity-matrix: [itex]AI = IA = A[/itex]

[tex]\begin{gathered}
AB = C \hfill \\
{\text{multiply both sides at the right by }}B^{ - 1} : \hfill \\
ABB^{ - 1} = CB^{ - 1} \Leftrightarrow A\left( {BB^{ - 1} } \right) = CB^{ - 1} \hfill \\
{\text{since }}BB^{ - 1} = I: \hfill \\
AI = CB^{ - 1} \hfill \\
{\text{since }}AI = A: \hfill \\
A = CB^{ - 1} \hfill \\
\end{gathered}[/tex]

Is there a proof for A times I = A ??
I like to see a proof so the theory is concreted in my mind :eek:

As far as I know, this follows from definition! [itex]IA \equiv A[/itex]

It's not that hard to see, if you remember how I looks like:

[tex]\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
1 & 0 & \cdots & 0 \\
0 & 1 & \cdots & 0 \\
\vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\
0 & 0 & \cdots & 1 \\

\end{array} } \right)[/tex]

It's a bit like asking a proof for why [itex]1 \cdot a = a[/itex], [itex]a \ne 0[/tex] of course.

TD said:
Indeed, but in addition to Bob's explanation, this may be extended to larger matrices as followed:

[tex]A^{ - 1} = \frac{1}
{{\det \left( A \right)}}\operatorname{adj} \left( A \right)[/tex]

Note that you divide by [itex]{\det \left( A \right)}[/itex] so it is clear that for the inverse to exist, [itex]\det \left( A \right) \ne 0[/itex] must be true. Also, [itex]\operatorname{adj} \left( A \right)[/itex] stands for the Adjugate Matrix.

Another way is to extend the matrix to the right with the identity matrix and then swap (Gaussian Elimination), to get the identity left and the inverse on the right.
Yer, i was doing the second method, but I am not sure what i do to the idenity matrix, and what rules and how when i multiply by a integer how it effects the identity etc. Like i know i need to make matrix A = to the identity, and do whatver i do to the matrix a, i have to do to the identity. But I am not sure what i really do to it.

AHH i just remember that I = 1 correct ?? If so that makes sense. Wait maybe I am thinking of the determinant of I to be equal to 1 :uhh: :rofl:
Infact, is it because when you end up multiyplying out with the identity, since both upper and lower regions are = to 0, you multiply something lol I am so lost :shy: Atleast i try :yuck:

Rizzamabob said:
AHH i just remember that I = 1 correct ?? If so that makes sense. Wait maybe I am thinking of the determinant of I to be equal to 1 :uhh: :rofl:
Infact, is it because when you end up multiyplying out with the identity, since both upper and lower regions are = to 0, you multiply something lol I am so lost :shy: Atleast i try :yuck:
Well, you could see "I as 1", but then the "Matrix 1". All zero but 1's on the diagonal. [itex]\det \left( I \right) = 1[/itex] is correct too, not difficult to see!

Rizzamabob said:
Yer, i was doing the second method, but I am not sure what i do to the idenity matrix, and what rules and how when i multiply by a integer how it effects the identity etc. Like i know i need to make matrix A = to the identity, and do whatver i do to the matrix a, i have to do to the identity. But I am not sure what i really do to it.
Well, if you start with a 2x2 matrix, you 'add' to the right the 2x2 identity. I usually separate them with a dashed line or something, but when doing operation on it you should just see it as a larger 2x4 matrix as a whole. By applying the operation, you try to get the identity in the first 2x2 part, where A was. When you have that, you got the inverse of A on the right side, where the identity was.

I wanted to post an example here for you but LaTeX can't generate it.
http://td-hosting.com/wisfaq/td_67.gif [Broken] :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone, i completed the assignment :cool:
I should be posting a few more little questions here :approve: Thanks :tongue:

Good to hear!

1. What is "Finding Matrix A from AB=C"?

"Finding Matrix A from AB=C" is a mathematical process used to solve for a matrix A when given the equation AB=C. The goal is to isolate matrix A on one side of the equation, so it can be used to find a solution for a system of linear equations.

2. Why is it important to find Matrix A from AB=C?

Finding Matrix A from AB=C is important because it allows us to solve for unknown variables in a system of linear equations. It is a fundamental process in linear algebra and is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

3. What are the steps for finding Matrix A from AB=C?

The steps for finding Matrix A from AB=C are as follows:
1. Multiply both sides of the equation by the inverse of matrix B.
2. Simplify the equation by multiplying the matrices.
3. Use the properties of matrix multiplication to isolate matrix A on one side of the equation.
4. The resulting matrix will be the value of Matrix A.

4. Can any matrix be used for Matrix A, B, and C in the equation AB=C?

No, for the equation AB=C to have a solution, the number of columns in matrix A must be equal to the number of rows in matrix B. Additionally, the number of columns in matrix C must be equal to the number of columns in matrix B. If these conditions are not met, the equation will not have a solution for Matrix A.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding Matrix A from AB=C?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts or tricks that can be used to find Matrix A from AB=C. One approach is to use the augmented matrix method, where the matrices A and B are combined into one augmented matrix and then reduced using elementary row operations. Another approach is to use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method, which involves transforming the augmented matrix into reduced row-echelon form. Both of these methods can help simplify the process and make it easier to solve for Matrix A.