Matrix help — Solve this matrix equation

Poster has been reminded to show their work on the problem in order to get our tutorial help

Homework Statement

upload_2018-6-4_10-18-44.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I would have to do something with my calculator and I tried to solve like solving an equation for C, but not sure. I put all the matrices in my calculator. I then subtracted the first matrix to the other side then multiplied by the inverse of the second. That got my out a 3x3 matrix, but not sure if that means that is the solution.

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
From the looks of it, ## C ## must be a 3x3 matrix.

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

View attachment 226616

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I would have to do something with my calculator and I tried to solve like solving an equation for C, but not sure. I put all the matrices in my calculator. I then subtracted the first matrix to the other side then multiplied by the inverse of the second. That got my out a 3x3 matrix, but not sure if that means that is the solution.
That sounds like the correct thing to do. If you are unsure, put your answer in and see if it works.

Likes Entr0pic and scottdave
If you are unsure, put your answer in and see if it works.
Substituting your answer in the original equation is a good idea in any case. As you progress in mathematics, some of the calculations get very involved, and there are lots opportunities to make small errors. Once you reach a solution, you can confirm that your answer is correct by substituting it in the problem. If you end up with two equal expressions, that's a strong indication that your solution is correct.

Likes scottdave
scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
From the looks of it, ## C ## must be a 3x3 matrix.
Either it's a 3x3 matrix or a scalar. It should be easy to verify whether or not a scalar could be a possible solution.