Matrix in momentum representation

In summary, the equation states that the spectral density of W at time t is equal to the product of the spectrum of W at time t-p and the Fourier transform of the difference between p and p' at time t.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
1616512209808.png

$$\langle p | W | p' \rangle = \int \langle p | x \rangle \langle x W | x' \rangle \langle x' p' \rangle dx dx'$$
$$\langle p | W | p' \rangle = \int \langle p | x \rangle \delta(x-x') W(x) \langle x' | p' \rangle dx dx'$$
$$\langle p | W | p' \rangle = \int \langle p | x' \rangle W(x') \langle x' | p' \rangle dx'$$
$$* \langle p | W | p' \rangle = W(x') \langle p |p' \rangle$$
$$\langle p | W | p' \rangle = \delta (p-p') W(x')$$

To get * from the previous equation, i assumed that ##\int x'\rangle \langle x' dx' = 1##. But i am not sure if i can just take it out, because i don't really know if the W(x') does affect something in this integral.

Or is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you can’t do that. You’re integrating over ##x’##, so it shouldn’t appear in the final result.

Likes vanhees71
Hint: Think about what is ##\langle x|p \rangle=\langle p|x \rangle^*##. Also it's clear that your result cannot depend on ##x##, because ##\hat{W}## doesn't depend on ##x##.

I could try to go on: ##\langle x | p \rangle = c e^{ikx}##, with this the integral reduce to
$$c c^{*} \int W(x') e^{(ik'-ik)x'} dx'$$

Now, i need to review Fourier transform, but maybe i could say that $$ \langle x | p \rangle = c c^{*} \hat W (p)$$ ?

No, you first formula is right:
$$\langle x|p \rangle=u_p(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \exp(\mathrm{i} p x/\hbar).$$
Now start again with your initial formula in #1.

vanhees71 said:
No, you first formula is right:
$$\langle x|p \rangle=u_p(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \exp(\mathrm{i} p x/\hbar).$$
Now start again with your initial formula in #1.
I will try to go step by step.

$$\int \int \frac{dxdx'}{2 \pi \hbar} exp(i(p'x'-px)/\hbar) \delta(x-x') W(x)$$
$$ \frac{1}{2 \pi \hbar} \int exp( \frac{-2 \pi i (p-p')x'}{2 \pi \hbar}) W(x') dx' $$
$$ \frac{1}{2 \pi \hbar} \int exp( -2 \pi i f x' ) W(x') dx' = \frac{\hat W (t)}{2 \pi \hbar}$$
$$ \langle p | W | p' \rangle = \frac{\hat W (t)}{2 \pi \hbar} = \frac{K (\frac{p-p'}{2 \pi \hbar})}{2 \pi \hbar}$$

Where K is the spectrum of W
At least it is beautiful now

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the "matrix in momentum representation"?

The matrix in momentum representation, also known as the momentum space matrix, is a mathematical representation of a quantum system in which the basis states are momentum eigenstates. It is used to describe the behavior of a system in terms of its momentum rather than its position.

2. How is the matrix in momentum representation related to the traditional matrix representation?

The matrix in momentum representation is related to the traditional matrix representation through a mathematical transformation known as a Fourier transform. This transformation allows for the conversion of a matrix in position representation to a matrix in momentum representation and vice versa.

3. What are the advantages of using the matrix in momentum representation?

One advantage of using the matrix in momentum representation is that it simplifies certain calculations, such as calculating the evolution of a quantum system over time. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the system's behavior in terms of its momentum rather than its position.

4. How is the matrix in momentum representation used in quantum mechanics?

The matrix in momentum representation is used extensively in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles and systems. It is particularly useful in studying the behavior of particles with uncertain or changing positions, such as in the case of wave-particle duality.

5. Can the matrix in momentum representation be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, the matrix in momentum representation can be applied to any quantum system, as long as the system can be described by a wave function. This includes both discrete systems, such as atoms, and continuous systems, such as particles in a potential well.