1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Independence Proof

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    Edit: There was a mistake in the question, see below for right question.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    If {C,D} was not a set of independent matrices then what sort of relation would C and D satisfy? What does taking the transpose of both sides of said relation tell you?

4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    If {C,D} were not a set of independent matrices, then I would be able to find some numbers a and b not both zero, such that aC + bD = 0.

Transpose of this... aCT + bDT = 0?

5. Feb 4, 2010 #4
    Right, now use the relations given in the question to rewrite that last equation.

6. Feb 4, 2010 #5
    Okay, so that means

aC + b(-D) = 0.

Now that means that aC + b(-D) = aC + bD

and can be rewritten aC -b(D) = aC + bD... which would mean that a = a, and -b = b. But the only way -b = b can be true is if b = 0. So therefore, b is zero and my initial condition is false, and they are independent!! right?

7. Feb 4, 2010 #6
    oh wait, but a can still be something other than zero... my condition is that they are not BOTH zero. so my initial condition is not necessarily false =/

8. Feb 4, 2010 #7
    Sort of. You can't exactly just equate coefficients if that's what you did. The last equation you wrote implies that bD = 0 by just rearranging. You can't cancel the D here either, but you can use one property given in the question which you haven't used yet. :)

9. Feb 4, 2010 #8
    Wait, why can't I cancel the D? If bD = 0 and D is not zero, then isn't b zero?

Am I supposed to use the fact that they are n x n?

10. Feb 4, 2010 #9
    I just realized the question is not supposed to say that C and D are independent matrices, just that they are n x n and nonzero, if that makes a difference.

11. Feb 4, 2010 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure it makes a difference. You've got aC+bD=0 and aC-bD=0. To show C and D are independent, you want to show that a and b are both zero. Suppose a is nonzero?

12. Feb 4, 2010 #11
    If it's still true that bD is zero, then if a is nonzero, you'd have aC is not zero.

Then aC + bD = 0 --> aC + 0 = 0 but if aC is not zero this is obviously not true.

13. Feb 4, 2010 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Add the two equations. Who cares what bD is? If a is nonzero then you get 2aC=0. a is nonzero, C is nonzero. Possible, or not?

14. Feb 4, 2010 #13
    No, not possible. Therefore a must be zero.

But I still need to show that b is zero, right?

Now that I know a is zero can I just plug it in to the equation aC + bD = 0?

15. Feb 5, 2010 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure you can. Or you could subtract the two equations and conclude 2bD=0, D being nonzero means b must be zero. Same conclusion either way.

16. Feb 5, 2010 #15
    Great, so then a = b = 0, thus {C, D} is independent. And we're done!

Thanks to both of you for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook