1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix intersection of planes

1. Jan 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a necessary condition for the three planes given below to have a line of intersection.

-x +ay+bz=0
    ax-y+cz=0
    bx+cy-z=0

2. Relevant equations

in order to get a line of intersection between the planes..i know i need one line of the matrix to be [0 0 0|0]

3. The attempt at a solution

well heres the attempt..and its wrong

[ -1 a b | 0
    a -1 c | 0
    b c -1| 0 ]

=>

[-1 a b | 0
    0 (a^2-1) ba+c | 0 (aRow1 + Row2)
    0 (ab+c) b^2+1 | 0 ] (brow1 + Row 2)

=>

[ -1 a b | 0
    0 a^2 -1 ba+c |0
    0 0 2abc +c^2 - a^2 + b^2 +1) |0 ] (ab+c row2- a^2-1 Row1)

then what i did ..by inspection i made 2abc+c^2 -a^2 +b^2 +1 = 0 by letting a=b=1, and c=-1......

but that doesnt work becasue that owuld make plane 1 and 2 the same plane.

i need help

thanks

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2007 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The third row in your original matrix should be "b -c -1 | 0" not "b c -1 | 0".

4. Jan 4, 2007 #3
    my bad..edited...i mistyped the question

but still need help

5. Jan 4, 2007 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In your last matrix, the 3rd element of the third row is "2abc +c2 - a2 + b2 +1" but then you start looking at the equation "2ab + c2 - a2 + b2 +1 = 0".

6. Jan 4, 2007 #5
    another typo on my part i have that c there

7. Jan 4, 2007 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So? You weren't asked to find a sufficient condition, you were asked to find a necessary condition.

Incidentally, you have either the polynomial wrong, or the matrix wrong: I think determinants are a simpler approach to the problem than Gaussian elimination.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  8. Jan 5, 2007 #7
    Im not sure how to do it the dertiminant way. I do not think my math is wrong so far.

Help

9. Jan 5, 2007 #8

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"a=b=1, c=-1" is a sufficient condition, not a necessary condition. In fact, "2abc + c2 - a2 + b2 +1 = 0" is also just a sufficient condition, not a necessary condition, since it isn't necessary for the third line to be all zeroes (the second line could be all zeroes).

10. Jan 5, 2007 #9

ok thanks

what would be an example as a necessary conditon and how would i go about finding it

11. Jan 6, 2007 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the matrix of coefficients were invertible then the only simultaneous solution to the three equations would be (0, 0, 0), the POINT of intersection of the three planes. In order that the three planes intersect in a line it is necessary that the matrix not be invertible: in other words that the determinant be 0. Find the determinant and set it equal to 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?