Matrix intersection of planes

In summary, the three planes need a line of intersection if the matrix of coefficients is not invertible. The determinant of the matrix must be 0 in order for the three planes to intersect in a line.
canadian_beef

Homework Statement

Find a necessary condition for the three planes given below to have a line of intersection.

-x +ay+bz=0
ax-y+cz=0
bx+cy-z=0

Homework Equations

in order to get a line of intersection between the planes..i know i need one line of the matrix to be [0 0 0|0]

The Attempt at a Solution

well here's the attempt..and its wrong

[ -1 a b | 0
a -1 c | 0
b c -1| 0 ]

=>

[-1 a b | 0
0 (a^2-1) ba+c | 0 (aRow1 + Row2)
0 (ab+c) b^2+1 | 0 ] (brow1 + Row 2)

=>

[ -1 a b | 0
0 a^2 -1 ba+c |0
0 0 2abc +c^2 - a^2 + b^2 +1) |0 ] (ab+c row2- a^2-1 Row1)

then what i did ..by inspection i made 2abc+c^2 -a^2 +b^2 +1 = 0 by letting a=b=1, and c=-1...

but that doesn't work becasue that owuld make plane 1 and 2 the same plane.

i need help

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The third row in your original matrix should be "b -c -1 | 0" not "b c -1 | 0".

my bad..edited...i mistyped the question

but still need help

In your last matrix, the 3rd element of the third row is "2abc +c2 - a2 + b2 +1" but then you start looking at the equation "2ab + c2 - a2 + b2 +1 = 0".

AKG said:
In your last matrix, the 3rd element of the third row is "2abc +c2 - a2 + b2 +1" but then you start looking at the equation "2ab + c2 - a2 + b2 +1 = 0".

another typo on my part i have that c there

canadian_beef said:
then what i did ..by inspection i made 2abc+c^2 -a^2 +b^2 +1 = 0 by letting a=b=1, and c=-1...

but that doesn't work becasue that owuld make plane 1 and 2 the same plane.
So? You weren't asked to find a sufficient condition, you were asked to find a necessary condition.

Incidentally, you have either the polynomial wrong, or the matrix wrong: I think determinants are a simpler approach to the problem than Gaussian elimination.

Last edited:
Im not sure how to do it the dertiminant way. I do not think my math is wrong so far.

Help

"a=b=1, c=-1" is a sufficient condition, not a necessary condition. In fact, "2abc + c2 - a2 + b2 +1 = 0" is also just a sufficient condition, not a necessary condition, since it isn't necessary for the third line to be all zeroes (the second line could be all zeroes).

AKG said:
"a=b=1, c=-1" is a sufficient condition, not a necessary condition. In fact, "2abc + c2 - a2 + b2 +1 = 0" is also just a sufficient condition, not a necessary condition, since it isn't necessary for the third line to be all zeroes (the second line could be all zeroes).

ok thanks

what would be an example as a necessary conditon and how would i go about finding it

If the matrix of coefficients were invertible then the only simultaneous solution to the three equations would be (0, 0, 0), the POINT of intersection of the three planes. In order that the three planes intersect in a line it is necessary that the matrix not be invertible: in other words that the determinant be 0. Find the determinant and set it equal to 0.

1. What is the intersection of planes in a matrix?

The intersection of planes in a matrix refers to the point or points where two or more planes intersect in a three-dimensional space. In a matrix, this is represented by a set of coordinates that satisfy the equations of all intersecting planes.

2. How is the intersection of planes calculated in a matrix?

The intersection of planes in a matrix is calculated by solving the system of equations formed by the planes. This involves using methods such as substitution or elimination to find the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations simultaneously.

3. Can there be more than one intersection of planes in a matrix?

Yes, there can be multiple intersections of planes in a matrix. This occurs when the planes intersect at more than one point, resulting in a set of coordinates that satisfy all the equations of the intersecting planes.

4. What does the intersection of planes in a matrix represent?

The intersection of planes in a matrix represents the common point or points of intersection between two or more planes. This can be visualized as the point where two or more surfaces intersect in a three-dimensional space.

5. In what real-world applications is the concept of matrix intersection of planes used?

The concept of matrix intersection of planes is used in various fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. It is used to determine the intersection of objects in 3D modeling, to analyze the stability of structures, and to solve problems related to the motion of objects in space.