What is the simplified inverse formula for A + B?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse of the sum of two matrices. It is mentioned that there is an easy way to construct an inverse using algebraic identities and a power series. There is also mention of a simpler inverse formula and suggestions for finding it.
Tedjn
Hi everyone. This comes from Putnam and Beyond #82 paraphrased:

A and B are two n by n matrices such that AB = BA. There exist positive integers p and q such that Ap = I and Bq = 0. Find the inverse of A + B.

There is an easy way to construct an inverse. Start with (A+B)(A-B) = A2 - B2. Multiply by A2 + B2 to get A4 - B4. Repeat until the B term disappears, and then multiply by the appropriate power of A.

I couldn't see it in the time I spent on this problem, but there seems to be the potential for a much simpler inverse formula, since

1) this is in the algebraic identity portion of the book
2) there are multiple equivalent ways of writing this inverse

I'd be interested if someone here finds one :-)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Tedjn! :smile:
Tedjn said:
A and B are two n by n matrices such that AB = BA. There exist positive integers p and q such that Ap = I and Bq = 0. Find the inverse of A + B.

There is an easy way to construct an inverse. Start with (A+B)(A-B) = A2 - B2. Multiply by A2 + B2 to get A4 - B4. Repeat until the B term disappears …

But if q isn't a power of 2 … ?

Try a homogenous combination, of the form ∑i aiAiBn-i :wink:

Since A and B commute, I would have just used elementary calculus to expand (A+B)^{-1} -- particularly since B is nilpotent and thus acts as if it were "small".

The work involved in this solution is nothing more than simple algebra, I just would have spotted the method in the way I described above.

What is a matrix inverse?

A matrix inverse is a mathematical operation that involves finding the inverse of a square matrix. In simpler terms, it is finding a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix.

Why is finding a matrix inverse important?

Finding a matrix inverse is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations, which have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It also helps with matrix operations and simplifying complex calculations.

How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix can be found by using various methods, such as Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, and the adjugate matrix method. The most commonly used method is Gaussian elimination, which involves transforming the original matrix into an identity matrix through a series of row operations.

What properties does a matrix inverse have?

A matrix inverse has several properties, including the fact that the inverse of the inverse is the original matrix, the inverse of the product of two matrices is equal to the product of their inverses in reverse order, and the determinant of the inverse is equal to the inverse of the determinant.

What happens if a matrix has no inverse?

If a matrix has no inverse, it is said to be singular or non-invertible. This means that the matrix does not have a unique solution and cannot be used to solve systems of linear equations. In some cases, a pseudo-inverse can be found, but it is not the same as a true inverse.