1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix inverse

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the matrix [cos(theta), -sin(theta); sin(theta), cos(theta)] is invertible, regardless of the value of theta

2. Relevant equations

Identity matrix, elementary row operations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the basic idea as to how to go about this; (let the above matrix = A)

- form an augmented matrix with the identity matrix, eg. [A|I]

- perform row operations (forward and backwards elimination) until matrix looks like [I|A^-1]

However, i'm at a loss as to how to perform these operations with the trigonometric values instead of numbers.

Just a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, i'd like to solve this myself

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try to think about this matrix geometrically. Can you guess what a possible inverse of it is? Verify that your guess is an actual inverse.

4. Mar 28, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem doesn't actually ask you to find the inverse- just to show that it exists. Are you aware that a matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is not 0? What is the determinant of this matrix?

Actually, it's not that hard to find the inverse they way you are doing it- just tedious. It turns out to be surprisingly easy and morphism's suggestion shows why.

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… just a gentle push …

Hi nk735! :smile:

Try:
    (cosA sinA (cosB sinB
    -sinA cosA) x -sinB cosB).

The (1,1) term will be cosAcosB + sinA(-sinB), = … ?

So the whole matrix is … ? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?