Is the matrix logarithm function defined correctly?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the matrix exponential and logarithm functions, and how they can be defined using the identity matrix and a nilpotent matrix of order k. The conversation includes attempts at finding a generalization of the logarithmic function for real numbers, and how the correct version of the matrix logarithm function should be written. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the first term in the corrected version should not be included twice and that the first term should be I instead of I - N. This leads to a successful solution for the matrix exponential and logarithm functions.
farleyknight

Homework Statement

Let I be the identity matrix, and let N be a nilpotent matrix order k. Then the matrix exponential function is defined as:

exp(N) := I + N + (1/2!)*N^2 + (1/3!)*N^3 + ... + (1/k!)*N^k

Similarly, we may define the matrix logarithm as the function

-log(N) := I - N + (I - N) + (I - N)^2 + (I - N)^3 ... + (I - N)^k

Show that exp(log(N)) = N.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the prof made a mistake. I can't seem to get this into an identity. He gave us a version of the logarithm function as:

log(N) = I - N + (I - N)/1! + (I - N)^2/2! + (I - N)^3/3! ... + (I - N)^k/k!

And I had trouble getting an identity out of it. I was going to point out this mistake, but he corrected himself in class and gave us the updated version (without the factorial) and it still doesn't come out to an identity for me. When k = 2, I get

-log(exp(N)) = -2N

and when it's order 3, I get

-log(exp(N)) = -2N - (1/3)*N^3

So I'm feeling certain it's still not right. If I'm not mistaken, it supposed to be a generalization of the logarithmic function for real numbers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_logarithm#Derivative.2C_Taylor_series

So I might try out this function and hand that in, telling him the corrected version just didn't work for me. My hunch is that the first term shouldn't be I - N but instead just I, since you'd want (I - N)^0/0! = I.

Can anyone else figure out what he really meant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi farleyknight! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Not something I'm familiary with,

but it looks from your wikipedia link that it should be

(I - N)/1 + (I - N)2/2 + (I - N)3/3 + ...

farleyknight said:
So I might try out this function and hand that in, telling him the corrected version just didn't work for me. My hunch is that the first term shouldn't be I - N but instead just I, since you'd want (I - N)^0/0! = I.

Can anyone else figure out what he really meant?

The first term in the corrected version is exactly the same as the second term, and is hence mistakenly included twice, with the mistake slightly disguised by including a "/1!" on the second term. Just remove one of those, and you'll get what tiny-tim has written down, which should hopefully work out.

You don't want a (I-N)^0/0, because, well... that would just be disasterous with the zero in the denominator and all. (Really it's because when using plain old numbers the first term in the taylor series of the logarithm is about 1 is ln(1) = 0, with all the rest of the coefficients being (-1)^(n+1)(n-1)!/x^n, which give (-1)^(n+1)/n when evaluated at x=1 and dividing by the factorial included in the series definition). The -1 is eliminated by reordering (x-1)^n to -(1-x)^n for odd n and multiplying by an overall minus sign to get a series with postive coefficients.)

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
Hi farleyknight! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Not something I'm familiary with,

but it looks from your wikipedia link that it should be

(I - N)/1 + (I - N)2/2 + (I - N)3/3 + ...

An initial attempt seems to work. Thanks for your help!

1. What is a matrix logarithm?

A matrix logarithm is the inverse operation of matrix exponentiation. It is a mathematical function that takes a square matrix as its input and returns another matrix as its output. The matrix logarithm can be used to solve equations involving matrices, and it has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What is the mistake associated with matrix logarithm?

The mistake associated with matrix logarithm is when the input matrix is not invertible or does not have a unique logarithm. This can lead to incorrect results or errors in calculations.

3. How can the matrix logarithm mistake be avoided?

The matrix logarithm mistake can be avoided by ensuring that the input matrix is invertible and has a unique logarithm. This can be done by checking the determinant of the matrix and making sure it is non-zero.

4. What are the consequences of making a matrix logarithm mistake?

The consequences of making a matrix logarithm mistake can vary depending on the application. In some cases, it may lead to incorrect results or errors in calculations. In other cases, it may have more serious consequences, such as causing instability in numerical algorithms or leading to incorrect conclusions in scientific research.

5. Are there any alternative methods to avoid the matrix logarithm mistake?

Yes, there are alternative methods to avoid the matrix logarithm mistake. One method is to use the Jordan canonical form of the matrix, which can help identify when the matrix does not have a unique logarithm. Another method is to use a pseudoinverse function, which can handle non-invertible matrices and still provide a solution. Additionally, using numerical methods with appropriate error handling can also help avoid the matrix logarithm mistake.