Matrix Mechanics position and momentum operator

In summary, the equation given in the forum post shows that the stationary states are related by 1/m*pij = Ei-Ej/(i*hbar) *xij, where pij = ∫ψi(x)*p*ψj (x) and similarly for xij. This equation can be derived by using the classical correspondence for the equation of motion, the Schrodinger equation, the Ehrenfest theorem, and the Fourier transform.
jcharles513

Homework Statement

Stationary states are related by 1/m*pij = Ei-Ej/(i*hbar) *xij where pij = ∫ψi(x)*p*ψj (x) and similarly for xij

Homework Equations

Classical correspondence for equation of motion is d<x>/t = <p>/m
Schrodinger equation
Ehrenfest Theorem
Fourier Transform

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that ψ(x,t) = ψi(x)*e-iEit/hbar
And I would know how to do this sort of thing for a linear combination or a specific example i.e. infinite square well. I just don't know how to go about generalizing it. If you could get me started, I can go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are asking for assistance in understanding how to generalize the relationship between stationary states. Let's break down the equation given in the forum post and see if we can make sense of it.

First, let's start with the classical correspondence for the equation of motion, d<x>/dt = <p>/m. This equation relates the average position <x> and average momentum <p> of a particle in classical mechanics. In quantum mechanics, these quantities are represented by operators, so we can rewrite this equation as:

d<x>/dt = <p>/m → [d<x>/dt] = <ψ|p|ψ>/m

Next, we can use the Schrodinger equation to relate the momentum operator to the energy operator:

p = -iħ(d/dx) → <ψ|p|ψ> = -iħ<ψ|(d/dx)|ψ>

Now, let's consider the Ehrenfest theorem, which states that the expectation value of an operator obeys the classical equation of motion. Using this, we can rewrite our equation as:

[d<x>/dt] = -iħ<ψ|(d/dx)|ψ>/m → [d<x>/dt] = -iħ/m * d/dt<ψ|x|ψ>

Finally, we can use the Fourier transform to relate the position and momentum operators in the position basis to the position and momentum operators in the momentum basis. This will give us our final equation:

[d<x>/dt] = -iħ/m * d/dt<ψ|x|ψ> → [d<x>/dt] = -iħ/m * d/dt<ψ|p|ψ>

This equation is very similar to the one given in the forum post, and we can see that they are related by a factor of 1/m*pij. This factor comes from the fact that the expectation value of the momentum operator in the momentum basis is given by pij = ∫ψi(p)*p*ψj(p)dp, where ψi(p) and ψj(p) are the momentum space wavefunctions for the states i and j, respectively.

I hope this helps to clarify the relationship between stationary states and the classical correspondence for the equation of motion. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is Matrix Mechanics position and momentum operator?

The position and momentum operators in matrix mechanics are mathematical operators used to describe the position and momentum of a quantum system. They are represented by matrices and are used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain position or with a certain momentum.

How do you calculate the position and momentum operators?

The position operator is represented by the matrix of x coordinates, while the momentum operator is represented by the matrix of the momentum components. To calculate these operators, you must first determine the basis set and then use the appropriate mathematical equations to construct the matrices.

What is the relationship between the position and momentum operators?

The position and momentum operators are related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely you know the position of a particle, the less precisely you can know its momentum and vice versa. These operators do not commute, meaning their order of application affects the outcome of the measurement.

How do you use the position and momentum operators in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the position and momentum operators are used to calculate the expectation values of a system, which correspond to the average values of the position and momentum of the particles in that system. These operators are also used in the Schrödinger equation to describe the time evolution of a quantum system.

Can the position and momentum operators be used for any quantum system?

Yes, the position and momentum operators can be used for any quantum system, as long as the system can be described by a wave function. They are fundamental operators in quantum mechanics and are applicable to a wide range of systems, from simple particles to more complex molecules and atoms.