1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix mechanics

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My book says that we can express

[tex] p_{nm} = -i \sqrt{M \omega \hbar} \left( \delta_{n,m-1}\sqrt{m} - \delta_{n,m+1} \sqrt{m+1}\right)[/tex]

and

[tex] x_{nm} = \sqrt{\hbar/2M\omega} \left( \delta_{n,m-1} \sqrt{m} +\delta_{n,m+1}\sqrt{m+1}\right)[/tex]

for the simple harmonic oscillator potential.

I want to calculate [p,x] = i h-bar.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I am saying is that when I calculate

[tex] \sum_{k}x_{nk}p_{km} - \sum_{k}p_{nk}x_{km} [/tex]

I get 0. Can someone check that? If I need to I can post more work.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2007 #2
    Shouldn't there be some creation and annihilation operators in here? Usually they're written as "a" with or without a little dagger.

4. Dec 11, 2007 #3
    No, I think you are thinking of something else. x_nm is defined as <x_n|x|x_m> for example. |x_n> is nth eigenstate of the SHO Hamiltonian.

5. Dec 11, 2007 #4
    Ah, right. I remember them now.

These are not the x and p operators, they are expectation values. [p,x] = i h-bar is for the operators. The expectation values are just numbers, and the commutator of two numbers is always zero.

6. Dec 11, 2007 #5
    I am saying that [tex] \sum_{k}x_{nk}p_{km} - \sum_{k}p_{nk}x_{km} [/tex] is equal to 0 for each n and each m. So the entire matrix is equal to zero.

The problem in my book says, "show that [x,p] = ihbar holds as a matrix equation."

7. Dec 12, 2007 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you get for
    [tex] \sum_{k}x_{nk}p_{km}[/tex]?

8. Dec 12, 2007 #7
    [tex] (1/2)i\hbar\delta_{n,m} [/tex]

and I get the same for the

[tex] \sum_{k}p_{nk}x_{km} [/tex]

All would be well if I got [tex] \sum_{k}p_{nk}x_{km} [/tex] equal to minus that, but I checked my algebra several times and I just don't know what is going on.

9. Dec 12, 2007 #8

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[p,x] = i h-bar

Just insert what p and x are in the linear combination of annihilation and creation operators, and use their commuting algeras.

10. Dec 12, 2007 #9
    OK, I'm over my denseness now. You're calculating [tex]<x_n|[p,x]|x_m>[/tex], right?

So, for [tex] \sum_{k}p_{nk}x_{km}[/tex] you should get that the [tex]\delta_{n,m}[/tex] terms actually cancel and the remaining terms have [tex]\delta_{n+2,m}[/tex] and [tex]\delta_{n-2,m}[/tex], and that for [tex] \sum_{k}x_{nk}p_{km}[/tex] you get those same terms, minus the final (correct) answer, proportional to [tex]\delta_{n,m}[/tex] of course. Can you show some work?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  11. Dec 12, 2007 #10

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ehrenfest : can you please tell us exacly what you want to calculate?

12. Dec 12, 2007 #11

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Malawi, I think it's pretty clear what he is calculating. He has the matrix elements of p and x and wants to calculate the commutator using the matrix representation of those oeprators.

13. Dec 12, 2007 #12

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, 2Tesla also asked. If this is a exercise in dealing with the matrix representation, or if he just wants [p,x]

Using the template is good. Saying exactly what the problem are. Now one can inteprent his problem to be:

I want to calculate [p,x] = i h-bar for the simple harmonic oscillator potential.

14. Dec 12, 2007 #13
    I see where I messed up. I just totally botched the replacement of n and m's with k's using the Kronecker deltas. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?