Early Development of Matrix Mechanics: Frequencies, Intensities & Electrons

In summary, Heisenberg represented the frequencies and intensities of hydrogen spectral lines as two matrices. These matrices did not commute, but as Heisenberg understood it, the significance of this wasn't realized at first. Max Born and matrix mechanics development
Pollock
I would like to know more about the early development of matrix mechanics.Heisenberg originally represented the frequencies and the intensities of hydrogen spectral lines as two matrices.How were these observables then transformed into information about position and momentum of the electrons responsible for the sprctral transitions ?.The two matrices did not commute,but as I understand it,the significance of this wasn't realized at first,but what does the product of an frequency matrix and an intensity matrix represent anyway ?.
I do not have access to a scientific library and I probably wouldn't understand the original papers even if I had them,but there must be some easy-ish "stepping stones" into this area without the need for Hermitian operators and Hilbert space.
Will someone help,please!.

Physics news on Phys.org
Max Born and matrix mechanics

Pollock said:
I would like to know more about the early development of matrix mechanics.Heisenberg originally represented the frequencies and the intensities of hydrogen spectral lines as two matrices.

No, Heisenberg knew nothing about matrices when he wrote his original paper … Max Born developed the matrix representation of Heisenberg's theory …

see eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Born#Career"
In the paper, Heisenberg formulated quantum theory avoiding the concrete but unobservable representations of electron orbits by using parameters such as transition probabilities for quantum jumps, which necessitated using two indexes corresponding to the initial and final states. When Born read the paper, he recognized the formulation as one which could be transcribed and extended to the systematic language of matrices …

In 1954, Heisenberg wrote an article … credited Born and Jordan for the final mathematical formulation of matrix mechanics

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes,I was already aware that Heisenberg didn't use the term matrix until Born recognised what he was doing,but you haven't said anything about how the two indexes relate to the position and momentum of the electron in a particular transition.
I think I need something more authorative than an article in the wikipedia.Can you give a summary of the Born/Jordan/Heisenberg paper ?.

I like the book Quantum Mechanics in Simple Matrix Form by Thomas F. Jordan. It talks somewhat about the development though it might not be exactly what you're looking for.

Thank you for your response.Yes,I have a copy of Jordan's book;when I first saw the title in the Amazon site,I thought -great,this is just what I'm looking for.But I have to say I was somewhat disappointed with it.In some places it is so simple as to be trivial,while in other places it needs fuller explanations.I guess I need to get to grips with the Born/Heisenberg/Jordan paper of 1925.Any suggestions where I might get a translation of it,or better still,a simplified guide to it ?

1. What is the significance of studying the early development of matrix mechanics?

The early development of matrix mechanics, which is a branch of quantum mechanics, was crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It laid the foundation for the modern understanding of quantum mechanics and its applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. What are the main concepts in matrix mechanics?

The main concepts in matrix mechanics include the wave function, Hamiltonian operator, energy levels, and eigenvalues. These concepts allow us to describe the behavior of particles in terms of probabilities rather than definite trajectories, as observed in classical mechanics.

3. How are frequencies, intensities, and electrons related in matrix mechanics?

Frequencies and intensities refer to the energy levels and probabilities of particles in matrix mechanics. Electrons, which are the fundamental particles in an atom, are described by their energy levels and probabilities of occupying different states. This allows us to understand the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules.

4. What experiments led to the development of matrix mechanics?

The development of matrix mechanics was based on the results of experiments such as the photoelectric effect and the emission spectrum of hydrogen. These experiments demonstrated the particle-like behavior of light and the quantization of energy levels in atoms, respectively, which were key observations in the development of quantum mechanics.

5. How has matrix mechanics impacted modern technology?

Matrix mechanics has had a profound impact on modern technology, particularly in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and computer science. Its principles have been applied in the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer chips, which are essential components in many devices that we use today.