Matrix, minimal polynomial

In summary: There are only two possible such equations: x(x- 1) and x(x- 1)^n. The first corresponds to the matrix having eigenvalues 0 and 1 and so is similar to a diagonal matrix with 0 and 1 on the diagonal. The second corresponds to the matrix having eigenvalue 0 of multiplicity n and 1 of multiplicity 1.
Maybe_Memorie

Homework Statement

A n × n-matrix A satisfies the equation A2 = A.

(a) List all possible characteristic polynomials of A.

(b) Show that A is similar to a diagonal matrix

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A2 = A
so, A2 - A = 0
A(A-I) = 0

Our minimal polynomial is x2 - x = m(x)

Our eigenvalues are 0 and 1, and since in our minimal polynomial each one has a multiplicity of 1, A is similar to a diagonal matrix consisting of n jordan blocks with either 1's or 0's on the diagonal and 0 everywhere else since we have an nxn matrix and n jordan blocks.

So I've proved part (b) first.

For part (a) we don't know how many times each eigenvalue occurs in the characteristic polynomial, so p(t) = ta(t-1)b
where a,b=0,1,2,...,n.Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All is correct, except

Maybe_Memorie said:
A(A-I) = 0

A = 0, or A = I

AB=0 does not imply A=0 or B=0. For example

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0\\ 0 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

is a matrix A that satisfied [itex]A^2=A[/itex], but which is not 0 or I.

Okay, thanks! :smile:

I like Serena said:
Hmm, couldn't the minimal polynomial also be a (polynomial) divider of x2-x?

:blushing: It's not my day today. Thanks ILS...

micromass said:
:blushing: It's not my day today. Thanks ILS...

No, I just deleted my post.
They're asking for all characteristic polynomials, not for all minimal characteristic polynomials.

I like Serena said:
No, I just deleted my post.
They're asking for all characteristic polynomials, not for all minimal characteristic polynomials.

No, you were correct. If a matrix satisfies [itex]A^2=A[/itex], then its minimal polynomial is not necessary [itex]x^2-x[/itex]. I should have pointed that out.

That said, this doesn't change anything about the solutions of the OP. They remain correct.

If A^2- A= A(A- I)= 0, then, whatever the characteristic equation of A is, it must include factors of x and x- 1.

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is often used to represent a system of linear equations or to perform mathematical operations.

2. What is a minimal polynomial?

A minimal polynomial is the smallest degree polynomial that can be used to calculate the eigenvalues of a matrix. It is unique to each matrix and can be used to determine the characteristic polynomial and diagonalize the matrix.

3. How is the minimal polynomial calculated?

The minimal polynomial is calculated by finding the characteristic polynomial of the matrix and then factoring it into irreducible polynomials. The minimal polynomial is then the product of these irreducible polynomials.

4. What is the significance of the minimal polynomial?

The minimal polynomial allows us to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix, which are important for understanding the behavior of the matrix in various applications. It also helps in the process of diagonalization, which simplifies many calculations involving the matrix.

5. Can a matrix have more than one minimal polynomial?

No, a matrix can only have one minimal polynomial. This is because the minimal polynomial is unique to each matrix and is determined by its eigenvalues and eigenvectors.