Matrix multiplication of an nxn matrix is the scaling

In summary, matrix multiplication of an nxn matrix involves scaling and rotation of a vector in n dimensions. Finding the inverse of a matrix is equivalent to finding a transformation that makes the vector a unit vector in the transformed space. The inverse matrix (A^{-1}) has no relation to the original matrix (A) when plotted in the original space, as visualizing the graph of the matrix would require a high-dimensional space. However, the graph of A^{-1} can be obtained by reflecting the graph of A through a hyperplane and a matrix can be written for this transformation. This can be useful for simplifying calculations, but cannot be used as a visual aid.
chaoseverlasting
Geometrically, matrix multiplication of an nxn matrix is the scaling, and rotation of a vector in n dimensions true? So when you find the inverse of a matrix, what you're actually doing is finding a transformation such that in the 'transformed space' the vector is a unit vector.

If the inverse matrix ([tex]A^{-1}[/tex])is plotted in the original space, then does it have any relation to the original matrix([tex]A[/tex])?

What I mean by that is, if you have a function [tex]y=f(x)[/tex] in 2 D space, and you find the inverse function [tex]x=f^{-1}(y)[/tex] the inverse function is a reflection of the function [tex]y=f(x)[/tex] about the line [tex]y=x[/tex]. Does the inverse matrix ([tex]A^{-1}[/tex]) have any such relation to the original matrix([tex]A[/tex])?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

The relation between [tex]A^{-1}[/tex] & [tex]A^[/tex]... the inverse of [tex]A^[/tex], where it exists, is denoted by [tex]A^{-1}[/tex] and [tex]AA^{-1}[/tex] is equal to I ie. identity matrix = [tex]A^{-1}A[/tex]

roam said:
The relation between [tex]A^{-1}[/tex] & [tex]A^[/tex]... the inverse of [tex]A^[/tex], where it exists, is denoted by [tex]A^{-1}[/tex] and [tex]AA^{-1}[/tex] is equal to I ie. identity matrix = [tex]A^{-1}A[/tex]
True, but I don't believe that was the question he was asking.

chaoseverlasting said:
Geometrically, matrix multiplication of an nxn matrix is the scaling, and rotation of a vector in n dimensions true? So when you find the inverse of a matrix, what you're actually doing is finding a transformation such that in the 'transformed space' the vector is a unit vector.

If the inverse matrix ([tex]A^{-1}[/tex])is plotted in the original space, then does it have any relation to the original matrix([tex]A[/tex])?

What I mean by that is, if you have a function [tex]y=f(x)[/tex] in 2 D space, and you find the inverse function [tex]x=f^{-1}(y)[/tex] the inverse function is a reflection of the function [tex]y=f(x)[/tex] about the line [tex]y=x[/tex]. Does the inverse matrix ([tex]A^{-1}[/tex]) have any such relation to the original matrix([tex]A[/tex])?
What do you mean by "plotted in the original space"? An n by n matrix operates on n dimensional vectors and itself exist in an n2 vector space. In order to "graph" A and A-1 you would need an n4 dimensional graph.

HallsofIvy said:
True, but I don't believe that was the question he was asking.

What do you mean by "plotted in the original space"? An n by n matrix operates on n dimensional vectors and itself exist in an n2 vector space. In order to "graph" A and A-1 you would need an n4 dimensional graph.

Why would you need an n4 dimensional graph? Say for a 3x3 matrix, you would need a 9 D space then. Its kind of hard for me to imagine that, but say if we took each row or column to be a plane in 3D (where I suppose each plane corresponds to a projection of 9D space on 3D), would there be a relation between the planes of [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]A^{-1}[/tex] ?

A plane? Wouldn't each row or column of a three by three matrix simply be a vector in [tex]F^3[/tex]?

Yeah, each row or column of a 3x3 matrix would be a vector, but if you assume that vector to be the normal vector passing through a given point then you get three planes depending on whatever matrix equation you use. I don't think a standalone 3x3 matrix could represent planes by itself.

Even so, I'm guessing here, the projection would give you three vectors instead of three planes. So you would have a set of three vectors corresponding to [tex]A[/tex] and three vectors corresponding to [tex]A^{-1}[/tex], would the vectors of A and A-1 be co-related in any way?

Anyone? Please :p ?

chaoseverlasting said:

In general, any function (including e.g. matrices) [tex]f:R^n\rightarrow R^n[/tex] has a graph in [tex]R^{2n}[/tex] which is the set [tex]\{(\textbf{x},f(\textbf{x})):\textbf{x}\in R^n\}[/tex]. If f is invertible then the graph of [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] is [tex]\{(f(\textbf{x}),\textbf{x}):\textbf{x}\in R^n\}[/tex]. You get one from the other by reflection through a hyperplane and you can easily write out the matrix for this.

For a function on R this is very usefull as a visual aid. In general, not so. I think what you want to know is if we can read off the value that A^{-1} assigns to x using the graph of A? Because we can't visualise the graph we can't.

Last edited:

olliemath said:
In general, any function (including e.g. matrices) [tex]f:R^n\rightarrow R^n[/tex] has a graph in [tex]R^{2n}[/tex] which is the set [tex]\{(\textbf{x},f(\textbf{x})):\textbf{x}\in R^n\}[/tex]. If f is invertible then the graph of [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] is [tex]\{(f(\textbf{x}),\textbf{x}):\textbf{x}\in R^n\}[/tex]. You get one from the other by reflection through a hyperplane and you can easily write out the matrix for this.

For a function on R this is very usefull as a visual aid. In general, not so. I think what you want to know is if we can read off the value that A^{-1} assigns to x using the graph of A? Because we can't visualise the graph we can't.

Thats exactly it. How would you go about writing a matrix for this? Perhaps we can't use it as a visual aid, but it would simplify a lot of other calculations.

Use

[tex]B:=\left[ \begin{array}{cc} 0 & I \\
I & 0 \end{array} \right] [/tex]

where I is the identity on [tex]R^n[/tex]. The coordinates of a general point on the graph are [tex](Ix,Ax)[/tex], so the coords of a general point on the graph of the inverse are [tex]B(Ix,Ax)=(Ax,Ix)[/tex]. One usually writes out the matrix [tex](A,I):R^n\rightarrow R^{2n}[/tex] and uses gaussian elimination to convert it to [tex](I,A^{-1})[/tex], which again gives points on the graph of the inverse, but in a more useful fashion.

1. What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is an operation in linear algebra where two matrices are multiplied to create a third matrix. This is done by multiplying each element in the first matrix by the corresponding element in the second matrix and adding the products together.

2. What is an nxn matrix?

An nxn matrix is a matrix with an equal number of rows and columns. This means that the matrix has n rows and n columns, where n is a positive integer.

3. How does matrix multiplication result in scaling?

In matrix multiplication, each element in the resulting matrix is calculated by multiplying the corresponding elements in the two input matrices. This means that each element in the resulting matrix is a combination of the elements in the original matrices, resulting in a scaled version of the original matrices.

4. Can matrix multiplication be used for other operations besides scaling?

Yes, matrix multiplication can be used for a variety of operations in linear algebra, such as rotation, translation, and projection. It is a fundamental operation in many fields of mathematics and is used in various applications, including computer graphics, physics, and engineering.

5. Are there any restrictions on the dimensions of matrices in order to perform matrix multiplication?

Yes, in order to perform matrix multiplication, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. This means that for two matrices to be multiplied, the first matrix must have the same number of columns as the second matrix has rows.