What is the correct way to multiply matrices?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the multiplication of two attached matrices, with one person asking for help and the other providing guidance on using trigonometric identities to simplify the result. They also discuss the meaning of symbols such as c and s, and suggest looking into the math behind multiplying 2D rotation matrices.
i.l
Hey,

When trying to multiply the 2 attached matrixes (row X column) I get a much more terms then the attached answer.
C is for cos and s for sin.
What am I doing wrong?
Regards,
i.l

Attachments

• matrix.JPG
    matrix.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 345
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean you don't have terms canceling out?

I suggest working carefully and invoking some trigonometric identities.

I get it that c stands for cosine and s stands for sine, but what does c1 mean? Cosine of what? Sine of what?

In one of your multiplications you have c1 in one matrix and c2 in the other, and you wrote the product as c12. What does that mean?

Simply typing it into Mathematica and using FullSimplify gets the results that you want. It is merely a combination of trig identities - namely the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities#Angle_sum_and_difference_identities".

The tricky bit is in the top 2*2 block - I suggest you look at the math for multiplying 2d rotation matrices.

[tex]A(\text{x$\_$})\text{:=}\left(
\begin{array}{cccc}
\cos (x) & -\sin (x) & 0 & a(x) \cos (x) \\
\sin (x) & \cos (x) & 0 & a(x) \sin (x) \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]

[tex]A(x).A(y)=\left(
\begin{array}{cccc}
\cos (x+y) & -\sin (x+y) & 0 & a(x) \cos (x)+a(y) \cos (x+y) \\
\sin (x+y) & \cos (x+y) & 0 & a(x) \sin (x)+a(y) \sin (x+y) \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi i.l,

Thank you for reaching out. Matrix multiplication can be a tricky concept, so let's go through it step by step.

First, it's important to make sure that the number of columns in the first matrix matches the number of rows in the second matrix. In your case, both matrixes have 3 columns, so that's good.

Next, when multiplying the matrices, you need to multiply each element in the first row of the first matrix by the corresponding element in the first column of the second matrix, and then add those products together. This will give you the first element in the resulting matrix.

For example, in the first element of your answer matrix, you have C1C1 + C2S1 + C3S2. This comes from multiplying the first row of the first matrix (C1, C2, C3) by the first column of the second matrix (C1, S1, S2).

Then, for the second element in the resulting matrix, you would multiply the first row of the first matrix by the second column of the second matrix, and so on until you have multiplied each row of the first matrix by each column of the second matrix.

It's important to be careful with the order of multiplication, as it can make a big difference in the resulting matrix.

I hope this helps clarify the process. If you're still having trouble, I would recommend reviewing some examples and practicing with smaller matrices before tackling larger ones.

Best regards,

1. What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation that takes two matrices as input and produces a new matrix as output. It involves multiplying each element of one matrix by the corresponding elements in the other matrix and then summing the products. The resulting matrix will have dimensions that depend on the dimensions of the input matrices.

2. What is the purpose of matrix multiplication?

The purpose of matrix multiplication is to combine and transform data from one matrix into another matrix. It is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering to solve complex problems and perform calculations involving large sets of data. It also has applications in computer graphics, data compression, and machine learning.

3. How is matrix multiplication different from regular multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is different from regular multiplication in several ways. First, it involves multiplying two matrices, rather than two single numbers. Second, the order of multiplication matters in matrix multiplication, whereas it does not matter in regular multiplication. Lastly, the resulting matrix in matrix multiplication will have different dimensions than the input matrices, whereas in regular multiplication, the product will have the same dimensions as the inputs.

4. What are the rules of matrix multiplication?

There are several rules that govern matrix multiplication. First, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. Second, the resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. Lastly, the order of multiplication matters and the product of two matrices will be different depending on the order they are multiplied in.

5. How is matrix multiplication used in real-world applications?

Matrix multiplication has many real-world applications, especially in fields that deal with large datasets and complex calculations. It is used in physics to solve systems of equations, in computer science for data compression and image processing, in economics for input-output analysis, and in biology to model population dynamics. It is also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms to process and analyze large amounts of data.