Matrix Multiplication Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between square matrices X, Y, and Z when given the equations XY=1 and YZ=1. The Attempt at a Solution involves discussing the possibility of Y being on opposite sides of the other matrices and the validity of a certain step. The conversation ends with a hint to consider the product of all three matrices, XYZ, in order to prove that X=Z.
ConeOfIce

Homework Statement

Suppose one has n×n square matrices X, Y and Z such that
XY = 1and Y Z = 1. Show that it follows that X = Z.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know if the equatoins had been XY and ZY I would do this:

XY=ZY -> XY-ZY=0 -> Y(X-Z)=0 -> X-Z=0 -> X=Z

I was wondering if this holds when the Y is on opposite sides of the other matrices?

Thanks in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
ConeOfIce said:

Homework Statement

Suppose one has n×n square matrices X, Y and Z such that
XY = 1and Y Z = 1. Show that it follows that X = Z.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know if the equatoins had been XY and ZY I would do this:

XY=ZY -> XY-ZY=0 -> Y(X-Z)=0 -> X-Z=0 -> X=Z

I was wondering if this holds when the Y is on opposite sides of the other matrices?

Thanks in advanced!

I am sure you would have better luck in the math forums.

Casey

You are throwing away a lot of information in going from XY=1 and ZY=1 to XY=ZY. If Y is singular, there are infinitely many distinct matrices X and Z for which XY=ZY. With matrices and vectors, the step (X-Z)Y = 0 to X-Z=0 is in general invalid.

Hint: What is XYZ?

What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two matrices to produce a third matrix. It is an essential operation in linear algebra and is used in various fields of science and engineering.

What are the rules for matrix multiplication?

The rules for matrix multiplication include that the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix, the resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix, and the elements of the resulting matrix are calculated by multiplying the corresponding elements from the rows and columns of the two matrices and then summing the products.

Why is matrix multiplication important?

Matrix multiplication is important because it allows us to perform various mathematical operations on multiple variables simultaneously. It is used in areas such as computer graphics, economics, and physics to solve complex problems and analyze data.

What is the difference between matrix multiplication and scalar multiplication?

The main difference between matrix multiplication and scalar multiplication is that scalar multiplication involves multiplying a single number (scalar) by each element of a matrix, while matrix multiplication involves multiplying two matrices to produce a third matrix.

Are there any limitations to matrix multiplication?

Yes, there are limitations to matrix multiplication. The two matrices must have compatible dimensions, meaning the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. Additionally, the order in which the matrices are multiplied matters, as matrix multiplication is not commutative (A*B is not necessarily equal to B*A).