Proving the Formula for Matrix Multiplication | Homework Statement & Equations

In summary, the conversation is discussing the proof of the formula for matrix multiplication. The formula is given by (\text{AB})_{i \,j}=\sum _{k=1}^n a_{i \,k}b_{k \,j}, and the question is asking for a verification that this formula corresponds to the composition of two linear transformations. This can be shown by examining the effects of the linear transformations and the two matrices on the basis vectors.
Shaun Culver

Homework Statement

Prove the formula.

Homework Equations

Matrix multiplication:
[tex](\text{AB})_{i \,j}=\sum _{k=1}^n a_{i \,k}b_{k \,j}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to "prove" the formula for arbitrary values of [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, what he is doing is defining the matrix corresponding to a linear transformation, then defining the multiplication of two matrices as the matrix corresponding to the composition of the two corresponding linear transformation, finally giving that formula. What is asked here is that you show that this formula really does give the matrix corresponding to the composition of two linear transformations. I would recommend that you look at what the linear transformations and the two matrices do to each of the basis vectors in turn.

What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two matrices together to produce a third matrix. It is used to transform data and perform calculations in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

How is matrix multiplication performed?

To perform matrix multiplication, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix. The product of the two matrices will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix.

What are the rules for matrix multiplication?

The rules for matrix multiplication are as follows: the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix, the product matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix, and the product of two matrices is not commutative (A*B is not equal to B*A).

What is the purpose of matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is used to transform data, solve systems of equations, and perform calculations in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What are some real-life applications of matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is used in image processing, computer graphics, cryptography, and machine learning. It is also used in economics for input-output analysis and in transportation and logistics for route optimization.