What is the meaning of \textbf{nn} in matrix multiplication?

In summary, the author is discussing the gradient of a vector, and how to take the dot product of two vectors.
rsq_a
I can't figure out what an author means by this expression:

[tex]
\textbf{n} \cdot \textbf{e} \cdot (\textbf{I} - \textbf{nn})
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\left(\textbf{u} - \textbf{U}\right) \cdot (\textbf{I} - \textbf{nn})
[/tex]

Here, all I know is that [itex]\textbf{u}[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{U}[/itex] are vectors of length 3. [itex]\textbf{n}[/itex] is a unit normal, so also a vector of length 3. [itex]\textbf{I}[/itex] I'm assuming is a 3x3 identity matrix. The author has also written that [itex]\textbf{e} = 1/2 (\nabla \textbf{u} + (\nabla \textbf{u})^T)[/itex], so I guess that's a 3x3 matrix.

But that what does [itex]\textbf{nn}[/itex] even mean? [itex]\textbf{n}n^T[/itex] makes sense to me (giving a 3x3 matrix).

But then what does it mean to take the dot product of a 3x3 matrix with a 3x3 matrix? Is the author simply referring to matrix multiplication in
[tex]
\left(\textbf{u} - \textbf{U}\right) \cdot (\textbf{I} - \textbf{nn}) = \left(\textbf{u} - \textbf{U}\right)(\textbf{I} - \textbf{nn}^T)
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you so cryptic about "an author"? Telling us what is the exact context of all this may save our time.

arkajad said:
Why are you so cryptic about "an author"? Telling us what is the exact context of all this may save our time.

I didn't see it as relevant. The equation(s) can be found on p.5 http://www.maths.nottingham.ac.uk/personal/pmzjb1/ejam_new.pdf.

From other formulas in thise paper lot can be guessed. The dot means simply multiplication of one matrix by another matrix, for instance vector.matrix=vector. I am not sure whether there is a difference between row and columns vectors, but I guess there is one.

I could not decode

[tex]\textbf{e} = 1/2 (\nabla \textbf{u} + (\nabla \textbf{u})^T)[/tex]

but that can be decoded looking somewhere else for "rate of strain tensor".

arkajad said:
From other formulas in thise paper lot can be guessed.

Where? In (2.4) and (2.6), for example, dot is used consistently to mean the inner product (i.e. vector and vector).

[tex]\textbf{e} = 1/2 (\nabla \textbf{u} + (\nabla \textbf{u})^T)[/tex]

This is easy. It's a 3x3 vector. The gradient of a vector is the transpose of the jacobian.

What about [itex]\textbf{nn}[/itex]? I asked before how it makes sense to put two 3x1 (or 1x3) vectors together. Moreover, if you are correct, and

I guess [itex]\mathbf{nn}[/itex] is the 3x3 matrix [itex]n_in_j[/itex]. So, for instance, [itex]\mathbf{u}\cdot\mathbf{nn}[/itex] would be

[tex]\Sigma_i u_in_in_j[/tex]

What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation where two matrices are multiplied together to produce a new matrix. It involves multiplying each element in one matrix by the corresponding element in the other matrix and then adding all the products together to get a single value in the resulting matrix.

Why is matrix multiplication important?

Matrix multiplication is important because it allows us to perform calculations that are essential in many fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used in applications such as computer graphics, data analysis, and machine learning.

What are the rules for matrix multiplication?

The rules for matrix multiplication are:

• The number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix.
  • The resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix.
  • To multiply two matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix.
  • The order of multiplication matters, as matrix multiplication is not commutative (A*B ≠ B*A).
  • The product of two matrices is found by multiplying each element in a row of the first matrix by each element in a column of the second matrix and adding the results.

What is the identity matrix and how does it relate to matrix multiplication?

The identity matrix is a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. When a matrix is multiplied by the identity matrix, the resulting matrix is the original matrix. This is similar to multiplying a number by 1, where the result is the original number. In matrix multiplication, the identity matrix serves as the multiplicative identity, just like 1 serves as the multiplicative identity in regular multiplication.

How do I perform matrix multiplication?

To perform matrix multiplication, follow these steps:

1. Make sure the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix.
  2. Identify the corresponding elements in each row of the first matrix and each column of the second matrix.
  3. Multiply each pair of corresponding elements and add the results together to get a single value in the resulting matrix.
  4. Repeat this process for each element in the resulting matrix until all elements have been calculated.
  5. The resulting matrix is the product of the two original matrices.