Matrix Multiplication and sigma notation

In summary, sigma notation is a way to summarize the content of two matrices. The way it is explained in Wikipedia agrees with how it is illustrated in the example. matrix multiplication is the summation of the rows of one matrix multiplied by the columns of another matrix.
Bashyboy
Hello,

I have read several different sources on this very topic, and the one thing that confused a little was defining it using sigma notation. Could some please explain to be what it means?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Sigma" notation is simply summation.

Matrix multiplication is the summation of the rows of one matrix multiplied by the columns of another matrix.

The way you explain makes it seem that Wikipedia has defined it incorrectly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_multiplication#Matrix_product_.28two_matrices.29

The one thing that I don't quite understand about their sigma definition is, how does does i and j run through their values? I can see that k runs from 1 element to m elements, which would be the elements in the column for A, and the elements in the row for B.

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
The way you explain makes it seem that Wikipedia has defined it incorrectly.
That's exactly how Wikipedia defines it. Look at the picture: A row times a column. Or read the text regarding the calculation of (AB)ij: "Treating the rows and columns in each matrix as row and column vectors respectively, this entry is also their vector dot product."

I think my explanation agrees with Wikipedia. Here's an example:

Say we have two tables "A" and "B":

Code:
  A
1 3
5 7

B
2 4
6 8

Matrix multiply (in the linear executable notation J - see jsoftware.com):

Code:
   A+/ . *B
20 28
52 76

This is illustrated below by positioning B above and to the right with A down and to the left to highlight that we
1) multiply the columns of B by the rows of A and
2) sum those products (add them together)

Here's my attempt to illustrate this procedure (assuming multiplication before addition):
Code:
            2          4
                  6          8
1   3     1*2 + 3*6  1*4 + 3*8  =   20  28          
5   7     5*2 + 7*6  5*4 + 7*8  =   52  76

I've also staggered the rows of B to align them with the relevant portion of the cross-product (and tagged it as "code" when it isn't in order to preserve the spacing).

I think I am beginning to understand it, now. I'll have to re-read the posts a few more times. Thank you, all.

1. What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two matrices together to produce a new matrix. It is used to perform calculations involving multiple variables and is an essential tool in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. How do you perform matrix multiplication?

To perform matrix multiplication, you must ensure that the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. Then, for each element in the resulting matrix, you multiply the corresponding row of the first matrix by the corresponding column of the second matrix and add the products together.

3. What is the purpose of using sigma notation in matrix multiplication?

Sigma notation, also known as summation notation, is used to compactly represent a sum of terms in a mathematical expression. In matrix multiplication, it is used to represent the sum of products involved in the multiplication process, making it easier to write and understand the calculation.

4. How is matrix multiplication related to linear transformations?

Matrix multiplication is closely related to linear transformations because it can be used to represent and perform transformations on vector spaces. The elements of a matrix can be thought of as coefficients that determine how the transformation affects the input vector.

5. Can you provide an example of matrix multiplication using sigma notation?

Consider the matrix multiplication A*B=C, where A is a 2x3 matrix and B is a 3x2 matrix. Using sigma notation, the element in the first row and first column of C can be written as:
C11 = Σi=13 A1i * Bi1. This represents the sum of the products of the first row of A and the first column of B.