1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix numerical analysis: Need explanations

1. Apr 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that [tex]\Omega \subset \mathbb{R}^2[/tex] and [tex](x,y) \in [0,1] \times [0,1][/tex].

The goal is to find [tex]u:(x,y) \in \Omega \longmapsto u(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

Details:

[tex]
    (P1) \left\{ \begin{array}{rlc}
    -\frac{\partial}{\partial x^2} u(x,y) - \frac{\partial}{\partial y^2} u(x,y) &=\quad f(x,y), &

\forall (x,y) \in \Omega \\
    u(x=0,y)&=\quad 0 \\
    u(x,y=0)&=\quad 0 \\
    u(x=1,y)&=\quad y^2 \\
    u(x,y=1)&=\quad x^2 \end{array}\right
    [/tex]

Where [tex]f[/tex] is given as:

[tex]
    f(x,y)=-2\sin(4\pi x)-2x^2-2y^2+(4\pi)^2y(y-1)\sin(4\pi x)
    [/tex]

We are, supposedly, using finite difference method to approach numerically the solution of [tex]

(P1)[/tex].

As advised by the author, one begins by discretizing [tex]\Omega[/tex] with [tex]N=n^2[/tex] points attributed regularly and numbered accordingly, like in the example below:

http://www.chokleong.com/ESIEE/images/exemple_de_discretisation.png [Broken]

Notice that the point [tex]1[/tex] has [tex](\frac{1}{n+1},\frac{1}{n+1})[/tex] as its coordinate, etc...

He, then, searches one equation (can be solved numerically) satisfied by approximated values of [tex]u[/tex] at points [tex]1,2,3,[/tex] etc... He gathers these values in a vector with the size of [tex]N=n^2[/tex]:

[tex]
    U=\begin{pmatrix}
    u_1\\
    u_2\\
    \vdots\\
    u_N\end{pmatrix} \in \mathbb{R}^N
    [/tex]

He introduces the [tex]N \times N[/tex] matrix below:

[tex]
    A_N=
    \begin{pmatrix}
    A & B & 0 & \cdots & 0 \\
    B^T & \ddots & \ddots & \ddots & \vdots\\
    0 & \ddots & A & \ddots & 0 \\
    \vdots & \ddots & \ddots & \ddots & B\\
    0 & \cdots & 0 & B^T & A \end {pmatrix} \in \mathbb{R}^{N\times N}
    [/tex]

Where [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] are both [tex]n \times n[/tex] matrices given as:

[tex]
    A=
    \begin{pmatrix}
    4 & -1 & 0 & \cdots & 0\\
    -1& \ddots & \ddots & \ddots & \vdots\\
    0 & \ddots & 4 & \ddots & 0\\
    \vdots & \ddots & \ddots & \ddots & -1\\
    0 & \cdots & 0 & -1 & 4\end{pmatrix}
    \qquad,\quad
    B=
    \begin{pmatrix}
    -1 & 0 & \cdots & \cdots & 0\\
    0 & \ddots & \ddots & & \vdots \\
    \vdots & \ddots & -1 & \ddots & \vdots \\
    0 & \ddots & \ddots & \ddots & 0\\
    -1 & 0 & \cdots & 0 & -1\end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

Questions:
    1) Explain why [tex](P1)[/tex] can be approached by [tex](P2)[/tex] below:

[tex](P2)[/tex] Find [tex]U \in \mathbb{R}^N[/tex] such that [tex]\frac{1}{(n+1)^2}A_N U = b[/tex] where the form of the vector [tex]b \in \mathbb{R}^N[/tex] will be given by the student.
    Hint: Begin with [tex]n[/tex] small [tex]( n = 2, 3,\quad etc...)[/tex].

2) By introducing [tex]X \in \mathbb{R}^N[/tex], a [tex]N[/tex] vector, explain why [tex](P2)[/tex] is equivalent to the least squares problem below:

[tex](P3)[/tex] Find [tex]X \in \mathbb{R}^N[/tex] minimum of [tex]J(X)=\frac{1}{2}X^TA_N X-(n+1)^2X^Tb[/tex].

That's it.

3. The attempt at a solution

There are a total of 5 questions to answer, but I am having problems with the above 2 questions which I don't have a clue of.

If you know somethings, please help me. Otherwise, I couldn't sleep for a few days.

Thanks.

(Update: My biggest problem is that I don't know how to write the vectors [tex]U[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] explicitly which prevent me from solving the problem. If someones know this matter better than me, I would be glad that you can shed some light for me on this matter.

My biggest concern is what represent the vector [tex]b \in \mathbb{R}^N[/tex] actually? What could it possibly be? Any idea?)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?