Matrix Reflection Homework: Find Orthogonal Matrix in R3 Plane

In summary: But before doing that, you need to know the determinant of the reflection matrix. The determinant of a matrix is a measure of how much the matrix depends on its arguments. In this case, the determinant is 1 because the reflection matrix depends only on the unit vector in the basis.The determinant is an important tool in mathematics and engineering. It is used in stability analysis, vibration analysis, and other fields.In summary, the matrix of reflection in the plane with equation x1+2x2-2x3=0 is -1, 0, 0.
DanZ123

Homework Statement

Let u1,u2,u3 be an orthonormal basis for R3 and consider M as the plane with equation x1+2x2-2x3=0. Find the matrix of orthogonal reflection in that plane with respect to the given basis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In previous exercises , I had a matrix A given and was asked to find the equation of the plane that the matrix was projected or reflected on. To do that I solved the equation (A-I)x=0 . (The nullspace/kernel minus the identity matrix) ..
I was thinking that maybe to solve this current exercise, I could maybe use the method from the previous exercises but use it backwards ... and find the matrix A?
But I am not sure if I am thinking right, or how to attack the problem...
Would appreciate help...thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The direction of your reflection is ##M^\perp =\mathbb{R} (1,2,-2)##. Find an orthonormal basis of ##\mathbb{R}^3## starting with a unit vector of ##M^\perp##. With respect to that basis, the matrix of reflection is ##\begin{pmatrix} -1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} ##. What do you need to complete the exercise ?

DanZ123 said:

Homework Statement

Let u1,u2,u3 be an orthonormal basis for R3 and consider M as the plane with equation x1+2x2-2x3=0. Find the matrix of orthogonal reflection in that plane with respect to the given basis.
This doesn't quite make sense. It would be easy to find the "matrix of orthogonal reflection in x1+ 2x2- x3= 0 in the standard basis i, j, k, but what is the relation of u1, u2, u3 to that?

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In previous exercises , I had a matrix A given and was asked to find the equation of the plane that the matrix was projected or reflected on. To do that I solved the equation (A-I)x=0 . (The nullspace/kernel minus the identity matrix) ..
I was thinking that maybe to solve this current exercise, I could maybe use the method from the previous exercises but use it backwards ... and find the matrix A?
But I am not sure if I am thinking right, or how to attack the problem...
Would appreciate help...thanks.

HallsofIvy said:
This doesn't quite make sense. It would be easy to find the "matrix of orthogonal reflection in x1+ 2x2- x3= 0 in the standard basis i, j, k, but what is the relation of u1, u2, u3 to that?
Ok so how do you find it for the standard basis i,j,k?

geoffrey159 said:
The direction of your reflection is ##M^\perp =\mathbb{R} (1,2,-2)##. Find an orthonormal basis of ##\mathbb{R}^3## starting with a unit vector of ##M^\perp##. With respect to that basis, the matrix of reflection is ##\begin{pmatrix} -1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} ##. What do you need to complete the exercise ?

Im not sure that iam following what's happening...

A reflection is an orthogonal symetry with respect to a plane.

Its direction ##\Delta## is the vector line orthogonal to the plane, and given a cartesian equation of the plane of symetry, you have immediate access to an orthogonal vector to that plane, don't you ?

Without going into the details, you understand with a sketch that an orthogonal symetry is stable in the plane of symetry and transforms vectors of ##\Delta## into their opposite.

Now given an orthonormal basis of ##\mathbb{R}^3## starting with a unit vector of ##\Delta##, the two other vectors belong to the plane of symetry, don't they ? What is the matrix of your reflection in that basis ?

Now you want to express this matrix into another basis, the canonical basis of ##\mathbb{R}^3##, so you need a change of basis matrix.

1. What is the purpose of finding an orthogonal matrix in a 3 dimensional plane?

Finding an orthogonal matrix in a 3 dimensional plane is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to rotate or reflect objects in 3D space, which is important in creating realistic and accurate models.

2. How do you determine if a matrix is orthogonal?

A matrix is orthogonal if its columns and rows are all unit vectors and are perpendicular to each other. This means that the dot product of any two columns (or rows) of the matrix will be 0, and the magnitude of each column (or row) will be 1.

3. Can you give an example of an orthogonal matrix in a 3 dimensional plane?

One example of an orthogonal matrix in a 3 dimensional plane is the identity matrix, which has 1s along the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. This matrix represents no rotation or reflection, as it leaves all vectors unchanged.

4. How do you find the orthogonal matrix that reflects a vector in a 3 dimensional plane?

To find the orthogonal matrix that reflects a vector in a 3 dimensional plane, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves finding a set of orthonormal vectors that span the same space as the vector you want to reflect, and then arranging them as the columns of the matrix.

5. Why is it important to find an orthogonal matrix in a 3 dimensional plane?

Finding an orthogonal matrix in a 3 dimensional plane is important because it allows us to perform transformations on objects in 3D space without distorting their shape or orientation. This is useful in various applications, such as computer graphics and 3D modeling.