1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix operation question

1. Aug 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Matrix A and B are both square matrices of the same size.

Is it possible to compute,

AB^2009

If not, why not?

3. The attempt at a solution

Just had this question in an exam, the exam did not allow calculators and I could not answer this question, I gather it is not possible but I cannot explain why.

Because A and B are square matrices it is possible to multiply them together but I am unsure about the exponent. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose that A and B are both n x n matrices. Then what is the size of AB? Then what about ABB = AB^2? And ABBB = AB^3? ...

4. Aug 19, 2009 #3
    Well if A and B are both n x n then they will always be n x n matrices. So does that mean that it is possible?

5. Aug 19, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, is that AB2009[/b] or (AB)2009?

It doesn' really matter. The only important point is that any two n by n matrices can be multiplied and give an n by n matrix as a result- which can be multiplied again by any other n by n matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook