Therefore, this is not possible and the correct answer is no.

In summary, it is not possible to obtain the matrix \begin{bmatrix}1& 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}from the identity matrix using row operations. This is because subtracting a row from itself is not a valid row operation and it would result in a matrix with rank zero, which is not possible. Additionally, if it were possible, the resulting matrix would have a determinant of 0 and would not be invertible.
alingy1
Can I get this matrix
\begin{smallmatrix}
1&1&0\\ 0&0&1\\ 0&0&0
\end{smallmatrix}
from the identidy matrix I3 like this:

\begin{smallmatrix}
1&0&0\\ 0&1&0\\ 0&0&1
\end{smallmatrix}
Add second row to first row.
Then substract second row from itself.
Is the substraction of a row from itself allowed?

Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:
Can I get this matrix
\begin{smallmatrix}
1&1&0\\ 0&0&1\\ 0&0&0
\end{smallmatrix}
from the identidy matrix I3 like this:\begin{smallmatrix}
1&0&0\\ 0&1&0\\ 0&0&1
\end{smallmatrix}
Add second row to first row.
Then substract second row from itself.
Is the substraction of a row from itself allowed?

No, you can only add or subtract linear combinations of other rows that are not the row itself when performing row operations.

If subtracting a row from itself was a legitimate row operation, you could row reduce any matrix to a zero matrix. And, presto change-o, every matrix has rank zero.

In fact, it is NOT possible to get
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1& 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
from the identity matrix by "row operations".

If it were then by doing the "reverse" row operations to the identity matrix would give the inverse matrix. And this matrix, since it has one row of all 0s, has determinant 0 and is NOT invertible.

(Every row operation has a reverse- the reverse of "multiply row i by a non-zero number" is "divide row i by the number, the reverse of "swap two rows" is itself, and the reverse of "add x (x non zero) times row j to row i" is "subtract 1/x times row j from row i.)

Last edited by a moderator:

What are matrix operations?

Matrix operations are mathematical operations that involve manipulating matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers or symbols. These operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What is the purpose of matrix operations?

The purpose of matrix operations is to perform calculations on matrices in order to solve equations, simplify expressions, and analyze data in various fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science.

What are the basic rules for performing matrix operations?

The basic rules for performing matrix operations are:

• Addition and subtraction can only be performed on matrices with the same dimensions.
  • Multiplication can be performed on matrices of any dimensions, as long as the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix.
  • The order of multiplication matters, as matrix multiplication is not commutative (A*B is not necessarily equal to B*A).
  • When multiplying a matrix by a scalar (a single number), the scalar is distributed to each element in the matrix.

How do I determine the dimensions of a matrix?

The dimensions of a matrix are determined by the number of rows and columns it has. To find the dimensions, count the number of rows and columns in the matrix, with rows being the horizontal rows and columns being the vertical columns. For example, a matrix with 3 rows and 4 columns would have dimensions of 3x4.

What are some real-world applications of matrix operations?

Matrix operations have many real-world applications, including:

• In economics, matrices are used to model supply and demand systems.
  • In computer graphics, matrices are used to transform and manipulate images.
  • In physics, matrices are used to describe the motion of objects in space.
  • In biology, matrices are used to analyze genetic data and model population dynamics.
  • In finance, matrices are used to analyze financial data and optimize investment strategies.