Matrix Operations: Inverse Existence & Row Op.

In summary: Not if s = 0.Notice that if s = 0, the determinant of your original matrix is 0. Since for this value of s, the determinant is zero, the matrix is not invertible for that value. There are also two other values of s for which the matrix is not invertible. One of the values you listed is...
Mark53

Homework Statement

[/B]

\begin{array}{cc}1 & 1&1\\ 1&1-s&1-s\\-s&1-s&s^2-1\end{array}

a)For which values of s does the inverse exist, and why? You should be using row operations and ideally head for reduced row echelon form

b) In the process of calculating part a), you will come across a row operation that will not work for all values of s, and in fact these values of s make A a non-invertible matrix. Write down the elementary matrix for this row operation.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
From doing row operations I get to

\begin{array}{cc}1 & 1&1\\ 0&-s&-s\\0&0&s^2-1\end{array}

I am unsure how to show for what values of s the inverse exists

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark53 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]

a)For which values of s does the inverse exist, and why? You should be using row operations and ideally head for reduced row echelon form

b) In the process of calculating part a), you will come across a row operation that will not work for all values of s, and in fact these values of s make A a non-invertible matrix. Write down the elementary matrix for this row operation.

[/B]

Will the original matrix be invertible if you end up with a RREF matrix with a row of zeros?

Note that I didn't check your work.

Mark44 said:
Will the original matrix be invertible if you end up with a RREF matrix with a row of zeros?

Note that I didn't check your work.

does that mean that when s is less than -1 and greater than 1 the inverse will exist

for part b would that just mean that s cannot equal -1,0,1

Mark53 said:

[/B]

I do not get that for a row echelon form.

Mark53 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]

[/B]

I agree with SammyS that your echelon form is not correct.

However, more to the point: you need to show the steps you took to get the final form, because for some values of ##s## you may not even be allowed to proceed as far as you did. In other words, for some values of ##s## you may need to stop before reaching your echelon form.!

Ray Vickson said:
I agree with SammyS that your echelon form is not correct.

However, more to the point: you need to show the steps you took to get the final form, because for some values of ##s## you may not even be allowed to proceed as far as you did. In other words, for some values of ##s## you may need to stop before reaching your echelon form.!
SammyS said:
I do not get that for a row echelon form.

This is how I came to the answer

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    22 KB · Views: 567
Mark53 said:
untitled-png.104892.png

That doesn't quite match what you gave initially.

## \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 1&1\\ 1&1-s&1-s\\-s&1-s&s^2-1\end{array} \right)##

Look at entry 3, 3 .

SammyS said:
untitled-png.104892.png

## \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 1&1\\ 1&1-s&1-s\\-s&1-s&s^2-1\end{array} \right)##

Look at entry 3, 3 .

Sorry I made a mistake earlier entry 3,3 should be s^2-s

Mark53 said:
In one of your steps you are dividing row 2 by s, and adding it to the 3rd row. If s happens to be zero, this step is invalid.

Mark44 said:
In one of your steps you are dividing row 2 by s, and adding it to the 3rd row. If s happens to be zero, this step is invalid.

Does this mean the elementary matrix for this row operation is:

## \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0&0\\ 0&1&0\\0&1/s&1\end{array} \right)##

Mark53 said:

Not if s = 0.
Notice that if s = 0, the determinant of your original matrix is 0. Since for this value of s, the determinant is zero, the matrix is not invertible for that value. There are also two other values of s for which the matrix is not invertible. One of the values you listed is incorrect.

Mark44 said:
Not if s = 0.
Notice that if s = 0, the determinant of your original matrix is 0. Since for this value of s, the determinant is zero, the matrix is not invertible for that value. There are also two other values of s for which the matrix is not invertible. One of the values you listed is incorrect.
when s = -1 or 1 the matrix would also not be invertible

part b says In the process of calculating part a), you will come across a row operation that will not work for all values of s, and in fact these values of s make A a non-invertible matrix. Write down the elementary matrix for this row operation.

How would i write down the elementary matrix for the row operation?

Mark53 said:
when s = -1 or 1 the matrix would also not be invertible
I believe you for one of these values, but not the other.
Mark53 said:
part b says In the process of calculating part a), you will come across a row operation that will not work for all values of s, and in fact these values of s make A a non-invertible matrix. Write down the elementary matrix for this row operation.

How would i write down the elementary matrix for the row operation?
The problem comes from replacing a row by 1/s times itself. What does the elementary matrix for this row operation look like?

Mark44 said:
I believe you for one of these values, but not the other.

The problem comes from replacing a row by 1/s times itself. What does the elementary matrix for this row operation look like?

\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0&0\\ 0&1&0\\0&0&1/s\end{array}

Is this correct?

which row should I be doing the operation to?

SammyS said:
untitled-png.104892.png

## \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 1&1\\ 1&1-s&1-s\\-s&1-s&s^2-1\end{array} \right)#
Look at entry 3, 3 .

You cannot divide by s if s = 0, end of story. So, when s = 0 you are forced to stop at your third matrix above, which is
$$\pmatrix{1&1&1\\0&0&0\\0&1&0} $$
when s = 0. This form is already sufficient to allow you to answer the original question about the existence or non-existence of an inverse. In fact, when s = 0 you do not even need to perform any row operations at all to answer the original question.

Last edited:
Mark53 said:

What matrix did you start with to get this?

I don't get this with either initial matrix.

Again, please show steps.

Ray Vickson said:
You cannot divide by s if s = 0, end of story. So, when s = 0 you are forced to stop at your third matrix above, which is
$$\pmatrix{1&1&1\\0&0&0\\0&1&0} $$
when s = 0. This form is already sufficient to allow you to answer the original question about the existence or non-existence of an inverse. In fact, when s = 0 you do not even need to perform any row operations at all to answer the original question.
$$\pmatrix{1&1&1\\0&0&0\\0&1&0} $$ How is this an elementary matrix I thought that only one row could be changed from the identity matrix to form an elementary matrix?

Mark53 said:
$$\pmatrix{1&1&1\\0&0&0\\0&1&0} $$ How is this an elementary matrix I thought that only one row could be changed from the identity matrix to form an elementary matrix?

Yes. but that is completely irrelevant here. The matrix above is NOT supposed to be a "transformation matrix" (like an elementary matrix or whatever); it is a matrix that results from the application of two elementary matrices acting on the original matrix to form a new matrix. If you had written out the original problem as three equations in three unknowns, the matrix above would correspond to the new system of equations resulting from the operations of Gaussian elimination.

Look at your own work displayed in post #7. Look at the first line, and the second of your modified matrices---the one at the far right on the first line. That is a matrix that you got as a result of some row operations. Now put s = 0 in that matrix.

Likes Mark53
Ray Vickson said:
Yes. but that is completely irrelevant here. The matrix above is NOT supposed to be a "transformation matrix" (like an elementary matrix or whatever); it is a matrix that results from the application of two elementary matrices acting on the original matrix to form a new matrix. If you had written out the original problem as three equations in three unknowns, the matrix above would correspond to the new system of equations resulting from the operations of Gaussian elimination.

Look at your own work displayed in post #7. Look at the first line, and the second of your modified matrices---the one at the far right on the first line. That is a matrix that you got as a result of some row operations. Now put s = 0 in that matrix.
thanks I got it now

1. What is the purpose of finding the inverse of a matrix?

Finding the inverse of a matrix allows us to solve systems of linear equations, perform division, and find the determinant of the matrix. It is also useful in various other mathematical and scientific applications.

2. How do you know if a matrix has an inverse?

A square matrix has an inverse if its determinant is not equal to zero. This means that the matrix is not singular and has a unique solution.

3. Can any matrix have an inverse?

No, only square matrices can have an inverse. Additionally, non-square matrices with a determinant of zero do not have an inverse.

4. How do row operations affect the inverse of a matrix?

Row operations do not change the inverse of a matrix. This is because they only involve multiplying or adding rows, which does not affect the determinant of the matrix.

5. Can the inverse of a matrix be a fraction or a decimal?

Yes, the inverse of a matrix can be a fraction or a decimal. It can also be a whole number if the matrix is small enough and has a determinant that is a fraction or decimal.