1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Matrix Order

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The following matrix is an elements of the group GL2(2), that is, the general linear group of 2x2 matrices in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex]:

[tex]A = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Find the order of the element A.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the order of A is 3. Because A3=I, where "I" is the identity. I found this by trial and error:

[tex]A^1 = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix}^1 \neq \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]A^2 = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix} \neq \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]A^3 = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex].

Here is my question, is there a shorthand method for finding "n" in:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix}^n = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Is there any way of solving for n without going through all the suffering matrix multipications above?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, your calculation isn't even right. A^3 isn't equal to I. In fact, A^n is never equal to I.

4. Sep 12, 2010 #3
    We are working in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex]!

[tex]A^3= \begin{pmatrix}3 & 2 \\2 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Which is equal to

[tex]I=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex]. So, the only way to solve this kind of problem is by trial and error?

5. Sep 12, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ooops. Missed the Z_2. No, I don't know of any systematic way. Some times it can help to cleverly write the matrix as a sum of others or look for a pattern is small powers. But A^3 is already a small power.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook