Proving Matrix A's Entries are Between 0 & 1

• Thread starter tom08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: STRACT: The question is whether all entries in a matrix A, where each row sums to 1 and all entries are between 0 and 1, will also be between 0 and 1 when raised to the kth power. The answer is yes and can be proven by setting two entries in each row to 1/2 and using the theorem for 1/2 to show it applies to 1/n.
tom08

Homework Statement

Hi, everyone! I encounter a problem as follows:

I have got a matrix A, all the entries in A is between 0 and 1. and the sum of each row of A is 1.

Can we say that all the entries in Ak is also between 0 and 1 ?

Can everyone kindly show me how to prove it when answer is yes :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show that if a_i and b_i are lists of numbers (like rows or columns of a matrix) and sum(a_i)=1 then min(b_i)<=sum(a_i*b_i)<=max(b_i)?

tom08 said:

Homework Statement

Hi, everyone! I encounter a problem as follows:

I have got a matrix A, all the entries in A is between 0 and 1. and the sum of each row of A is 1.

Can we say that all the entries in Ak is also between 0 and 1 ?

Can everyone kindly show me how to prove it when answer is yes :-)

The answer is YES! To show how it happens, the only hint is that you start by setting two of each row-entries equal to 1/2 in a variety of ways where you will get the maximum numbers after taking the matrix to the power 2 and the larger the power is, the smaller components get. If you proved the theorem for 1/2, it would be obviously proven for 1/n.

AB

1. What is the purpose of proving that matrix A's entries are between 0 and 1?

The purpose of proving that matrix A's entries are between 0 and 1 is to ensure that the values within the matrix are within a specific range. This can be important for various applications, such as probability calculations or image processing, where values outside of this range may cause errors or inaccuracies.

2. How can we prove that matrix A's entries are between 0 and 1?

To prove that matrix A's entries are between 0 and 1, we can use mathematical techniques such as induction or direct proof. We can also use computer simulations or programming to check the values of the matrix and verify that they fall within the desired range.

3. What are some potential consequences of matrix A's entries not being between 0 and 1?

If matrix A's entries are not between 0 and 1, it can lead to incorrect results or errors in calculations that rely on the values of the matrix. This can also affect the overall accuracy and reliability of any data or analyses that use the matrix.

4. Can matrix A's entries ever be exactly 0 or 1?

It is possible for matrix A's entries to be exactly 0 or 1, but this will depend on the specific context and application of the matrix. In some cases, it may be necessary for the entries to be exactly 0 or 1, while in others, they may fall within a smaller range of values but still be considered between 0 and 1.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule of matrix A's entries being between 0 and 1?

In certain cases, there may be exceptions to the rule of matrix A's entries being between 0 and 1. For example, if the values in the matrix represent probabilities, they may need to add up to exactly 1, even if some individual entries are slightly outside of the range. It is important to consider the context and purpose of the matrix when determining any potential exceptions.