1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix problem

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Matrix A is
    -4 4 4
    -4 4 4
    4 -4 -4

It has two real eigenvalues, one of multiplicity 1 and one of multiplicity 2. Find the eigenvalues and a basis of each eigenspace.

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the eigenvalues:
    the one of multiplicity 1 is -4
    the one of multiplicity 2 is 0

I can also get the eigenvectors for both:
    for -4 : [1 1 -1]^T
    for 0: [2 1 1]^T

But... I don't know where to go from here. At all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember, when you diagonalize a matrix you get [itex]D=P^{-1}MP \Rightarrow M=PDP^{-1}[/itex] not just [itex]M = D[/itex]. This means that

[tex]M^n=(PDP^{-1})^n=(PDP^{-1}) \cdot (PDP^{-1}) \cdot (PDP^{-1}) \ldots (PDP^{-1})=PD(P^{-1}P)D(P^{-1}P)\ldots DP^{-1}=PD^nP^{-1}[/tex]

So, while you have correctly calculated [itex]D^n[/itex], you forgot to multiply it by [itex]P[/itex] and [itex]P^{-1}[/itex] to get [itex]M^n[/itex].

Edit-this was in reply to the original question ;0)

4. Nov 1, 2008 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your second eigenvector is incorrect. You should also be looking for two (generalized) eigenvectors for [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] since that eigenvalue has multiplicity of 2.

Your first eigenvector [itex]x[/itex] will be given by [itex](A-\lambda I)x=0[/itex] but(!) your second one will not. Your matrix A is degenerate, and so you need to look for generalized eigenvectors. In this case, since [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] has multiplicity two, its eigenvectors are given by [itex](A-\lambda I)x=Ax=0[/itex] and [itex](A-\lambda I)^2x=A^2x=0[/itex].

5. Nov 1, 2008 #4
    edit: oh okay, so the eigenvectors for 0 are:
    (1, 1, 0)
    (1, 0, 1) ?

6. Nov 1, 2008 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yup!:smile:

7. Nov 1, 2008 #6
    Sweet, how do I get eigenspaces though? To be honest, I'm not even sure what they are...

8. Nov 1, 2008 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, what is the eigenspace of the [itex]\lambda=-4[/itex] eigenvalue? How about the [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] eigenvalue.

9. Nov 1, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You already have two eigenvectors for the space of eigenvectors corresponding to eigenvalue 0, <1,1,0> and <1, 0,1>. Since those are not multiples of one another, they are independent. Two independent vectors in a space of dimension 2? What does that tell you about a basis?

10. Nov 1, 2008 #9
    So... For eigenvalue -4, the eigenspace would just be the eigenvector? Like [-1, 1, 1]?

And for the 0, it'd be:
    [1 1]
    [1 0]
    [0 1]?

11. Nov 1, 2008 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the -4, the eigenspace is just <1,1,-1>.

And for the eigenvalue zero, the eigenspace is {<1,1,0>,<1,0,1>} (that is the set of the two vectors)

Clearly, the eigenspace of the -4 eigenvalue is 1D, while the eigenspace of the eigenvalue zero is 2D

12. Nov 1, 2008 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, no, no! An eigenspace is never a single vector. The eigenspace corresponding to eigenvalue -4 is the subspace spanned by {<1, 1, -1>} or having that set as basis.

Similarly, the eigenspace corresponding to eigenvalue 0 is NOT "{<1, 1, 0>, <1, 0, 1>}, it is the subspace spanned by that set or having that set as basis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?