1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix problem

1. Aug 13, 2011 #1
    The following matrix problem occurred to me. I figured out the answer and would like to pose the problem. It's easy but would be best for an undergrad math major. The question: Consider a square n by n matrix with entries 1, 2, ..., n squared. Find a way to arrange these entries so that the absolute value of the determinate of this matrix is a minimum.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2011 #2

disregardthat

Science Advisor

"a square n by n matrix with entries 1, 2, ..., n squared"

could you explain this a little better? Do you mean that the matrix have entries 1,2,3,...,n^2, and do all appear and only once?

4. Aug 13, 2011 #3
    Yes, the entries consist of all the numbers 1 to n^2 and each number occurs only once.

5. Aug 13, 2011 #4
    Let's see it for a 2x2 matrix. Since a transposition of rows and columns does not change the value of the matrix, and a transposition of row or columns changes the sign, it is sufficient to consider how many different rows we can form. For a 2x2 matrix, we can form the first row in 3 ways (pairing one fixed element with the other 3 elements) and the second row can be formed in the 2 possible permutations of the remaining elements, so 3x2 = 6 possible determinants. Here they are:
    [tex]
    \left|\begin{array}{cc}
    1 & 2 \\

3 & 4
    \end{array}\right| = 4 - 6 = -2
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \left|\begin{array}{cc}
    1 & 2 \\

4 & 3
    \end{array}\right| = 3 - 8 = -5
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \left|\begin{array}{cc}
    1 & 3 \\

2 & 4
    \end{array}\right| = 4 - 6 = -2
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \left|\begin{array}{cc}
    1 & 3 \\

4 & 2
    \end{array}\right| = 2 - 12 = -10
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \left|\begin{array}{cc}
    1 & 4 \\

2 & 3
    \end{array}\right| = 3 - 8 = -5
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \left|\begin{array}{cc}
    1 & 4 \\

3 & 2
    \end{array}\right| = 2 - 12 = -10
    [/tex]

I don't see how to generalize it at this point. I would think we need to add the biggest numbers [itex]n^{2}, (n - 1)^{2}, \ldots, n^{2} - n +1[/itex] along the main diagonal, then the next along the third to the main diagonal and start inserting the smallest elements along the odd diagonals.

6. Aug 14, 2011 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't want to spoil other people's fun with this so I'll give the answer without a proof:
    When n >= 3, the minimum absolute value of the determinant is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook