Proving Orthogonality of Product of Matrices

In summary, to prove that the product of two orthogonal matrices is orthogonal, we can directly use the definition of an orthogonal matrix and show that (AB)^{-1}=(AB)^{T}. Additionally, the determinant of an orthogonal matrix is +/-1, but this alone does not imply that the matrix is orthogonal.
Hypnotoad
How do you prove that the product of two orthogonal matrices is orthogonal? I know that a matrix can be written in component form as [tex]A=a_{jk}[/tex] and that for an orthogonal matrix, the inverse equals the transpose so [tex]a_{kj}=(a^{-1})_{jk}[/tex] and matrix multiplication can be expressed as [tex]AB=\Sigma_ka_{jk}b_{kl}[/tex]. I think that is all I need to be using, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of some other characteristic of orthogonal matrices.
Think about determinants in particular.

Hypnotoad said:
the inverse equals the transpose so [tex]a_{kj}=(a^{-1})_{jk}[/tex]

As you've written it, this is incorrect. You don't take the inverse of the entries. If [tex]A=[a_{jk}][/tex] is orthogonal then [tex]A^{-1}=A^{T}=[a_{kj}][/tex].

There's no need to go into the entries though. You can directly use the definition of an orthogonal matrix. Answer this question: what do you have to do to show (AB) is orthogonal?

Galileo said:
Think of some other characteristic of orthogonal matrices.
Think about determinants in particular.

Well the determinant of an orthogonal matrix is +/-1, but does a determinant of +/-1 imply that the matrix is orthogonal? I know that the determinant is distributive [tex]|AB|=|A||B|[/tex], so the determinant of the product does have to be +/-1, but I don't know if that is sufficient to show that a matrix is orthogonal.

Hypnotoad said:
Well the determinant of an orthogonal matrix is +/-1, but does a determinant of +/-1 imply that the matrix is orthogonal?

No, it doesn't. There are matrices with determinant +/- 1 that are not orthogonal.

To show [tex]AB[/tex] is orthogonal, you can show directly that [tex](AB)^{-1}=(AB)^{T}[/tex]. What is [tex](AB)^{T}(AB)[/tex]?

shmoe said:
No, it doesn't. There are matrices with determinant +/- 1 that are not orthogonal.
You're right. I was so totally confused :redface:

1. What does it mean for two matrices to be orthogonal?

Two matrices are considered orthogonal if their product is equal to the identity matrix. In other words, when multiplied together, the result is a matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else.

2. How do you prove the orthogonality of a product of matrices?

To prove the orthogonality of a product of matrices, you must show that the product equals the identity matrix, and that the individual matrices are orthogonal to each other. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations and matrix properties.

3. Why is proving orthogonality of matrices important?

Proving orthogonality of matrices is important because it is a fundamental property of linear algebra and has many practical applications. It is used in fields such as signal processing, data compression, and computer graphics.

4. What are some properties of orthogonal matrices?

Some properties of orthogonal matrices include: the determinant is either 1 or -1, the inverse is equal to the transpose, and the columns and rows are orthonormal (perpendicular and unit vectors).

5. Can any two matrices be orthogonal?

No, not all matrices can be orthogonal. The dimensions of the matrices must match in order for them to be multiplied together, and they must also satisfy the orthogonality criteria (product equals identity matrix and individual matrices are orthogonal).