1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Proof

1. Oct 22, 2004 #1
    How do you prove that the product of two orthogonal matrices is orthogonal? I know that a matrix can be written in component form as [tex]A=a_{jk}[/tex] and that for an orthogonal matrix, the inverse equals the transpose so [tex]a_{kj}=(a^{-1})_{jk}[/tex] and matrix multiplication can be expressed as [tex]AB=\Sigma_ka_{jk}b_{kl}[/tex]. I think that is all I need to be using, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think of some other characteristic of orthogonal matrices.
    Think about determinants in particular.

4. Oct 22, 2004 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As you've written it, this is incorrect. You don't take the inverse of the entries. If [tex]A=[a_{jk}][/tex] is orthogonal then [tex]A^{-1}=A^{T}=[a_{kj}][/tex].

There's no need to go into the entries though. You can directly use the definition of an orthogonal matrix. Answer this question: what do you have to do to show (AB) is orthogonal?

5. Oct 22, 2004 #4
    Well the determinant of an orthogonal matrix is +/-1, but does a determinant of +/-1 imply that the matrix is orthogonal? I know that the determinant is distributive [tex]|AB|=|A||B|[/tex], so the determinant of the product does have to be +/-1, but I don't know if that is sufficient to show that a matrix is orthogonal.

6. Oct 22, 2004 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it doesn't. There are matrices with determinant +/- 1 that are not orthogonal.

To show [tex]AB[/tex] is orthogonal, you can show directly that [tex](AB)^{-1}=(AB)^{T}[/tex]. What is [tex](AB)^{T}(AB)[/tex]?

7. Oct 22, 2004 #6

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're right. I was so totally confused :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?