1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Proof

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    Show that if A is invertible, then At is invertible
    and (At )-1
    = (A-1)t .

If A is invertible, then det(A)≠0
    det(A)=det(A^t)
    thus det(A^t)≠0

I'm not really sure how to prove the second part. It's an identity that I remembered, but don't know how to prove.

I'll take a crack at it though:

Multiply A^t to both sides
    gives I=A^t (A^-1)^t
    For the RHS, can i multiply A^t to A^-1 or does the ^t prevent me from doing that?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If A is invertible, then there exists a matrix B such that AB = I and BA = I. What is the natural thing to do here, to both sides of each equation?

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3
    I'm not sure what you are asking.

(At )-1 = (A-1)t .

If AB=I, then obviously, A is the inverse of B or vise versa.

So In this case I let A=(A^t)^-1
    Thus A^=((A^t)^-1)^-1 ? <<<<multiply this to both sides? If so, the left said reduces to the I matrix, but the right side still looks complicated.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  5. Sep 24, 2012 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If A is invertible, then there exists a matrix B such that AB = I and BA = I. Try transposing both sides of each of these equations.

6. Sep 24, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This can be a little hard to see. You already have I=A^t (A^-1)^t. This tells you that A^t has an inverse. What is it? Now take a deep breath. The inverse of A^t is called (A^t)^(-1).

Now that I look back I'm not sure you even got that far. Take junniii's advice. Find the transpose of A^(-1)A=I.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  7. Sep 24, 2012 #6
    OH!

So in this form

I=A^t [(A^-1)^t]

To get to the identity matrix A^T has to be multiplied by its inverse (A^T)^-1. The quantity [(A^-1)^t] must equal (A^T)^-1.

So simple, yet hard.

8. Sep 24, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, really simple. But it can be completely opaque if you don't remember what inverse means and that inverses are unique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook