Solve Vector Equation of Matrix Using Gauss-Jordan Elimination

In summary, the conversation was about using Gauss-Jordan elimination to find the vector equation of a given matrix. The person had initially found an answer of r=(0,0,1/2)+t(1,0,3/2) but was told that it could be simplified further. After some further discussion, it was determined that the correct answer was r=(-253/30,106/15,154/15).
thomasrules
I have to use the Gauss-Jordan elimination to find the vector equation of the following in the format r=(a,b,c)+t(x,y,z)

Matrix: row1=[6 8 -3|9]
row2=[10-2-5|15]

I got a wrong answer so can you help me solve for the vector equation please I have this answer r=(0,0,1/2)+t(1, 0,3/2)

or x=t
y=0
z=1/2t+3/2

Physics news on Phys.org
So the given matrix is

[tex]
\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
6 & 8 & { - 3} &\vline & 9 \\
{10} & { - 2} & { - 5} &\vline & {15} \\
\end{array}} \right)
[/tex]

Could you tell us what you found after row reduction?
Also, I think you better post questions like this in "Homework & Coursework Questions".

Last edited:
TD said:
So the given matrix is

[tex]
\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
6 & 8 & { - 3} &\vline & 9 \\
{10} & { - 2} & { - 5} &\vline & {15} \\
\end{array}} \right)
[/tex]

Could you tell us what you found after row reduction?
Also, I think you better post questions like this in "Homework & Coursework Questions".
Well yeah i got row1 [0 -46 0|0]
row2 [230 0 -115|345]

thomasrules said:
Well yeah i got row1 [0 -46 0|0]
row2 [230 0 -115|345]
Looks good, you can still simplify though.
E.g.: [4 0 -2 0] is equivalent to [2 0 -1 0] (I divided by 2).

lol then why the wrong answer...It is:

3 planes intersect at (-253/30,106/15,154/15)

thomasrules said:
lol then why the wrong answer...It is:

3 planes intersect at (-253/30,106/15,154/15)
Where is this coming from?
You initially said that the answer had to be "r=(0,0,1/2)+t(1, 0,3/2)" which seems more logic to me... You were almost there!

1. What is a vector equation of a matrix?

A vector equation of a matrix is a mathematical representation of a system of linear equations using vectors and matrices. It is written in the form of Ax = b, where A is a coefficient matrix, x is a vector of variables, and b is a vector of constants.

2. What is Gauss-Jordan elimination?

Gauss-Jordan elimination is a method used to solve a system of linear equations by transforming the augmented matrix into reduced row-echelon form. This process involves using elementary row operations to manipulate the matrix until it is in its simplest form and the solution can be easily determined.

3. How do I use Gauss-Jordan elimination to solve a vector equation of a matrix?

To solve a vector equation of a matrix using Gauss-Jordan elimination, first write the system of equations in augmented matrix form. Then, use elementary row operations to transform the matrix into reduced row-echelon form. The solution can then be read directly from the matrix.

4. What are the benefits of using Gauss-Jordan elimination?

Gauss-Jordan elimination is a powerful and efficient method for solving systems of linear equations. It can handle large and complex systems, and it provides an accurate and exact solution. Additionally, it is versatile and can be used for various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

5. Are there any limitations to using Gauss-Jordan elimination?

One limitation of Gauss-Jordan elimination is that it can be time-consuming and tedious when dealing with large matrices. Additionally, this method may not work for systems of equations that have infinitely many solutions or no solutions at all.