1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix question

1. Apr 30, 2009 #1
    Matrix A:

1 2 4 1
    2 4 8 2
    3 1 5 7

The question says find a basis for the solution set AX=0, X is the vector of variables
    [x1,x2,x3,x4]^t

What is a basis? and how can i approach this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

By inspection, I can see that the solution space for the equation AX = 0 will be at least a one-dimensional subspace of R4 (i.e., a line through the origin), and on closer inspection I can see that this solution space will be a two-dimensional subspace of R4, a plane through the origin.

You asked what a basis is. Isn't that term defined in your textbook? What this problem is asking for is a set of vectors that spans the solution space. IOW, a set of vectors such that any solution vector is a linear combination of the basis vectors.

You should also look up the definitions of the terms I have underlined.

4. May 1, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Solve the equations x+ 2y+ 4z+ u= 0, 2x+ 4y+ 8z+ u= 0, and 3x+ y+ 5z+ 7u= 0. There is, of course, an infinite number of solutions so instead of a single solution you will get equations expressing some of the variables in terms of the others. Choose simple values for those "others" and solve for the rest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook