1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix question

1. Jan 22, 2014 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is meant by [itex]A^c[/itex] notation in matrix, where A is any arbitrary matrix?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've searched all over the internet and reference books that I have but none of them gives information about this thing. Please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Could you give us some context for this notation, such as where you saw it and some of the explanatory text? Are the entries in the matrix complex? If so, AC might mean the conjugate of A. I have never seen this notation before.

4. Jan 22, 2014 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

At first I also suspected that it should be conjugate. But the matrix in the original question was not complex. I had to select an option from 4 given options. If I assume the notation to be conjugate then there would be three correct options which is not possible. That's why, I'm ruling out the possibility of conjugate notation.

5. Jan 22, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What are the four options? That might help us understand what the notation is supposed to mean. Also, check your textbook to see if they have defined this notation.

6. Jan 22, 2014 #5
    It is the compliment set of A, everything not in A.

7. Jan 22, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You mean 'complement', but A is given to be a matrix, not a set.

8. Jan 23, 2014 #7

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Here's the original question

[itex] A = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} \cos \theta & \sin \theta \\ - \sin \theta & \cos \theta \end{array} \right] \\ B = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} \sin \theta & \cos \theta \\ - \cos \theta & \sin \theta \end{array} \right][/itex]

Four options are

[itex]A = B^{-1} \\ A^c = B^{-1} \\ A^c = (B^c)^{-1} \\ A^{-1} = B^c [/itex]

Now If I suppose A^c to be conjugate of A then there is no difference between first 3 options as A^c = A, because the matrix does not contain complex variables.

9. Jan 23, 2014 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So compute AB. can you figure out what the resulting matrix does to the plane?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted