A^c Notation in Matrix: Exploring the Unknown

In summary: Now compute AB.Here's the original questionA = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} \cos \theta & \sin \theta \\ - \sin \theta & \cos \theta \end{array} \right] \\ B = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} \sin \theta & \cos \theta \\ - \cos \theta & \sin \theta \end{array} \right]Four options areA = B^{-1} \\ A^c = B^{-1} \\ A^c = (B^c)^{-1} \\ A^{-1} = B
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

What is meant by [itex]A^c[/itex] notation in matrix, where A is any arbitrary matrix?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've searched all over the internet and reference books that I have but none of them gives information about this thing. Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

What is meant by [itex]A^c[/itex] notation in matrix, where A is any arbitrary matrix?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've searched all over the internet and reference books that I have but none of them gives information about this thing. Please help me.
Could you give us some context for this notation, such as where you saw it and some of the explanatory text? Are the entries in the matrix complex? If so, AC might mean the conjugate of A. I have never seen this notation before.

Mark44 said:
Could you give us some context for this notation, such as where you saw it and some of the explanatory text? Are the entries in the matrix complex? If so, AC might mean the conjugate of A. I have never seen this notation before.

At first I also suspected that it should be conjugate. But the matrix in the original question was not complex. I had to select an option from 4 given options. If I assume the notation to be conjugate then there would be three correct options which is not possible. That's why, I'm ruling out the possibility of conjugate notation.

What are the four options? That might help us understand what the notation is supposed to mean. Also, check your textbook to see if they have defined this notation.

It is the compliment set of A, everything not in A.

Ross1 said:
It is the compliment set of A, everything not in A.
You mean 'complement', but A is given to be a matrix, not a set.

Mark44 said:
What are the four options? That might help us understand what the notation is supposed to mean. Also, check your textbook to see if they have defined this notation.

Here's the original question

[itex] A = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} \cos \theta & \sin \theta \\ - \sin \theta & \cos \theta \end{array} \right] \\ B = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} \sin \theta & \cos \theta \\ - \cos \theta & \sin \theta \end{array} \right][/itex]

Four options are

[itex]A = B^{-1} \\ A^c = B^{-1} \\ A^c = (B^c)^{-1} \\ A^{-1} = B^c [/itex]

Now If I suppose A^c to be conjugate of A then there is no difference between first 3 options as A^c = A, because the matrix does not contain complex variables.

utkarshakash said:
Here's the original question

[itex] A = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} \cos \theta & \sin \theta \\ - \sin \theta & \cos \theta \end{array} \right] \\ B = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} \sin \theta & \cos \theta \\ - \cos \theta & \sin \theta \end{array} \right][/itex]

Four options are

[itex]A = B^{-1} \\ A^c = B^{-1} \\ A^c = (B^c)^{-1} \\ A^{-1} = B^c [/itex]

Now If I suppose A^c to be conjugate of A then there is no difference between first 3 options as A^c = A, because the matrix does not contain complex variables.

So compute AB. can you figure out what the resulting matrix does to the plane?

1. What is A^c notation in matrix?

A^c notation in matrix is a way of representing the complement of a set of elements in a matrix. It shows all the elements that are not included in the set, denoted by A^c.

2. How is A^c notation used in matrix operations?

A^c notation is used in matrix operations to perform operations on the complement of a set of elements. This can be useful in certain calculations or when solving systems of equations.

3. Can A^c notation be applied to any type of matrix?

Yes, A^c notation can be applied to any type of matrix, including square matrices, rectangular matrices, and even complex matrices.

4. How does A^c notation relate to set theory?

A^c notation in matrix is closely related to set theory, as it represents the set complement of elements in a matrix. It is often used in conjunction with set operations, such as union and intersection, to solve problems in set theory.

5. Are there any limitations to using A^c notation in matrix?

One limitation of A^c notation in matrix is that it can only represent the complement of a set of elements, not the complement of a specific element within a set. Additionally, it may not be as useful in certain situations where other notations, such as set builder notation, may be more appropriate.