Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix rep. of Linear Transformation

1. Feb 9, 2005 #1
    Hello all,

I am trying to understand the matrix representation of a linear transformation.

So here is my thought process.

Let B = (b1, b2, ..., bn) be a basis for V, and let Y = (y1, y2, ..., ym) be a basis for W.

T: V --> W

Pick and v in V and express as a linear combo of the basis vectors:

v = sum( ai bi, 1, n)

T(v) = sum( ai T(bi), 1, n)

i.e., the transformed vector T(v) is determined by a linear combination of the transformed basis vectors.

Now coordanitize everything relative to Y, which we can always do since it is an isomorphism.

[T(v)]_Y = sum( ai [T(bi)]_Y, 1, n)

Then we can write this linear combination as a matrix multiplication, i.e., the vectors [T(bi)]_Y give the column vectors of the matrix representation.

Anyway, it took me awhile to get this and I still doubt myself. Is my reasoning correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is simpler to look at the individual basis vectors. If you have bi in a specific order, then b1 itself is represented by the ntuple (1, 0, 0,..., 0). Writing that as a column vector and multiplying it by the matrix representing T, you see that each number in the first column is multiplied by 1 and all other numbers by 0. That is, the first column is precisely the coefficients of T(b1).

Now look at b2, etc. to get the other columns
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?